Author Topic: Data truncated in Title/Object Name field  (Read 4568 times)

Offline Major Tom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Data truncated in Title/Object Name field
« on: June 19, 2013, 12:55:05 AM »
This may be more of an IPTC metadata inconsistency thing than really a PM thing, but I sometimes receive images with "captions" in the Title/Object Name field, and in PM they are truncated --seems to be a maximum of 64 characters. I find the exact same thing in Irfanview, which just calls the field "Object Name".

However in Photoshop (CS5) or Bridge, in the field they call either Title or Document Title, I get the full text.

It seems like that field in PM is used for both of those two separate fields, Title and Object Name, and maybe (guessing a bit here) it's inheriting a character limit from Object Name which is ending up truncating data that was entered as a Title.

Leaving aside for a moment the fact that probably neither of those fields should be used for anything that more properly belongs in a different field like Headline (I don't have control over how I get the metadata in a lot of images I deal with), I guess the point or question I'm getting to is since that PM field takes values from two IPTC fields, shouldn't it allow for the longer texts from Title rather than the shorter texts from Object Name -- in short, why have a limit in that field at all, or at least such a short one?

Or am I missing a preference setting somewhere?

Thanks for any guidance.

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Re: Data truncated in Title/Object Name field
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 02:35:42 AM »
I'm not experiencing the character limit to the Title/Object field that you seem to have. The picture below shows a thumbnail from my website with that field under the thumbnail populated with a shortened version of the Caption field. The field usually has at least 140 characters but, I am sure, could hold more.
David

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 06:42:05 AM »
This may be more of an IPTC metadata inconsistency thing than really a PM thing, but I sometimes receive images with "captions" in the Title/Object Name field, and in PM they are truncated --seems to be a maximum of 64 characters. I find the exact same thing in Irfanview, which just calls the field "Object Name".

However in Photoshop (CS5) or Bridge, in the field they call either Title or Document Title, I get the full text.

It seems like that field in PM is used for both of those two separate fields, Title and Object Name, and maybe (guessing a bit here) it's inheriting a character limit from Object Name which is ending up truncating data that was entered as a Title.

Leaving aside for a moment the fact that probably neither of those fields should be used for anything that more properly belongs in a different field like Headline (I don't have control over how I get the metadata in a lot of images I deal with), I guess the point or question I'm getting to is since that PM field takes values from two IPTC fields, shouldn't it allow for the longer texts from Title rather than the shorter texts from Object Name -- in short, why have a limit in that field at all, or at least such a short one?

Photo Mechanic does not limit any IPTC fields to any specific length.  Photo Mechanic also does not "mix" the contents of two IPTC fields into a single field in the IPTC dialogs.

I'd like to see a sample image that illustrates your problem, please.

-Kirk

Offline Major Tom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 10:44:38 PM »
Here it is in PM, all the way at the end of the data in the Title/Object Name field. (The beginning is cut off here, but that's not the issue.) Note that it's 64 characters.

And here's the same field in Photoshop:

If it wasn't for the fact that I was able to see more in PS than in PM I would assume it was just a question of an error when the data was added to the image. But I can't figure out why I'm seeing more in PS than in PM from the same image file and as far as I can tell the same field.

I also just noticed that Windows 7 also reads the entire title: "Trees, flower, and pond in the Japanese Tea Garden, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco."

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 10:51:30 PM by Major Tom »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 06:28:29 AM »
I'd really like to see an image that illustrates the problem.  Can you post the actual image, please?

Here is my guess as to what is going on: your image has both an IPTC record and XMP metadata and you have your settings in PM set to read IPTC before XMP.  PhotoShop enforces length restrictions on IPTC data for various fields.  I do not know if PhotoShop enforces the same length limits for XMP.

Giving me the actual image will help me get to the bottom of the issue quickly.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Major Tom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 07:22:40 PM »
You called it sir, it was the IPTC before XMP (I before E except after C?) setting! I had no idea.  Thanks a lot for the help. One of the many things that makes Photo Mechanic great is the support!