Author Topic: Sony alpha-a100  (Read 3451 times)

Offline digital-gg

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Sony alpha-a100
« on: November 18, 2006, 04:05:58 AM »
I am a recent convert to dSLR photography having converted from 35mm, medium format and some digital (non-SLR) after learning about the advantages of shooting RAW. Previously I had always used JPG (sometimes the only option), but was not always satisfied with results.

I had been looking for a photo browser and other related tools and reviews in magazines and some books led me to Photo Mechanic and a competing product. As both were rated highly (very highly by some) I downloaded trials of each with the hope of being able to choose one or other. Neither currently supports the Sony alpha a-100 that I chose as my intro camera, although Photo Mechanic was able to read DNG files that I created experimentally with Adobe's DNG converter.

I would prefer to work with my camera's native files if possible, as storing two RAW formats plus TIFFs with alternative cropping, corrections or effects consumes substantial storage capacity whether on my hard drive or on CD/DVD, as is my ultimate intention. Are there plans to add this camera to PM's supported cameras, a list of which I simply could not find?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Sony alpha-a100
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 06:42:09 AM »
I am a recent convert to dSLR photography having converted from 35mm, medium format and some digital (non-SLR) after learning about the advantages of shooting RAW. Previously I had always used JPG (sometimes the only option), but was not always satisfied with results.

I had been looking for a photo browser and other related tools and reviews in magazines and some books led me to Photo Mechanic and a competing product. As both were rated highly (very highly by some) I downloaded trials of each with the hope of being able to choose one or other. Neither currently supports the Sony alpha a-100 that I chose as my intro camera, although Photo Mechanic was able to read DNG files that I created experimentally with Adobe's DNG converter.

I would prefer to work with my camera's native files if possible, as storing two RAW formats plus TIFFs with alternative cropping, corrections or effects consumes substantial storage capacity whether on my hard drive or on CD/DVD, as is my ultimate intention. Are there plans to add this camera to PM's supported cameras, a list of which I simply could not find?

Version 4.5 of Photo Mechanic (in development right now) now has support for most Sony RAW formats including the Alpha-A100.

-Kirk

Offline digital-gg

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Sony alpha-a100
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 05:08:44 AM »
Thank you for a very prompt response.

I shall look out for it!