Author Topic: PSE 11 problem  (Read 3925 times)

Offline kevin riley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PSE 11 problem
« on: January 21, 2013, 07:10:42 PM »
Hey, Help,

PM5. MackBook Pro 10.6.8

Love Photo Mechanic 5.  The newspaper I freelance for turned me on to it and it was working great as long as I edited in PSE6 (photoshop elements 6).  I'd take care of my metadata and start doing a rough edit and choosing for upload.  If I had to make any adjustments I'd click on the "edit" button and it would open my PSE6, with the image I'd just been at in PM5 and I'd do some tweeking and then save it and it would be saved in PM5.  I'd go back to PM5 and tag it and upload it to the paper, no problems....I upgraded to PS Elements 11 (PSE11) so I could work in RAW but the problem I'm having now is that when I click the edit button in PM5 it opens up PSE 11 BUT no image pops up.  Bummer!  What am I doing wrong?  I'm able to open up images if I go through "file" "open" but that defeats the tools of PM5. 

Thanks,

KR

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PSE 11 problem
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 07:49:19 PM »
Kevin,

Love Photo Mechanic 5.  The newspaper I freelance for turned me on to it and it was working great as long as I edited in PSE6 (photoshop elements 6).  I'd take care of my metadata and start doing a rough edit and choosing for upload.  If I had to make any adjustments I'd click on the "edit" button and it would open my PSE6, with the image I'd just been at in PM5 and I'd do some tweeking and then save it and it would be saved in PM5.  I'd go back to PM5 and tag it and upload it to the paper, no problems....I upgraded to PS Elements 11 (PSE11) so I could work in RAW but the problem I'm having now is that when I click the edit button in PM5 it opens up PSE 11 BUT no image pops up.  Bummer!  What am I doing wrong?  I'm able to open up images if I go through "file" "open" but that defeats the tools of PM5. 

See this thread for a workaround:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=8093.0

-Kirk

Offline kevin riley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 10:06:23 AM »
Kirk,  thanks for the reply and the thread.  Unfortunately it seems that the work around doesn't help me out.  The beauty of the system I had w/ ps6 was that I could click the edit button in pm5, it would open up ps6 with the photo on the screen, I'd do some editing, save it and then go back to pm5. The changes I had made in ps6 were carried over to pm5, I'd tag the photo(s) and upload them.  Very simple and fast.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 10:40:17 AM »
Kevin,

Kirk,  thanks for the reply and the thread.  Unfortunately it seems that the work around doesn't help me out.  The beauty of the system I had w/ ps6 was that I could click the edit button in pm5, it would open up ps6 with the photo on the screen, I'd do some editing, save it and then go back to pm5. The changes I had made in ps6 were carried over to pm5, I'd tag the photo(s) and upload them.  Very simple and fast.

I understand that the workaround isn't ideal, but are you saying that drag and drop from the Contact Sheet isn't working for you either?

-Kirk

Offline kevin riley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 01:02:36 PM »
I was able to play around with the drag & drop but it slows down my workflow by a good amount.  I edit on my notebook so my screen space is limited and when I go to save any changes in pse11 they're not mirrored on my pm5 proof sheet.  I need fast turnarounds for my assignments both for the purpose of the deadline but also I'm paid per assignment so the quicker I am the more $ I make.  I just got spoiled by how well/fast pm5 worked with my old pse6. The weird thing is is that pm5 is opening  up pse11, it's just not bring the photo into that workspace and like I said the changes don't go back to pm5.

thanks,

kr

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 01:10:43 PM »
I was able to play around with the drag & drop but it slows down my workflow by a good amount.  I edit on my notebook so my screen space is limited and when I go to save any changes in pse11 they're not mirrored on my pm5 proof sheet.  I need fast turnarounds for my assignments both for the purpose of the deadline but also I'm paid per assignment so the quicker I am the more $ I make.  I just got spoiled by how well/fast pm5 worked with my old pse6. The weird thing is is that pm5 is opening up pse11, it's just not bring the photo into that workspace and like I said the changes don't go back to pm5.

What kind of changes are you not seeing when you return to PM5?  If you're talking about RAW adjustments, PM has never had access to Adobe's proprietary rendering technology and has never been able to show RAW adjustments.

Metadata changes should be able to be reflected in PM 5 though.

-Kirk

Offline kevin riley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 01:50:22 PM »
Kirk:

I should of started off by telling you that I know just enough to be dangerous....especially about NEF-RAW.  As it turns out I was only shooting jpeg's for the paper anyway, both for speed & storage.

(I'm starting to play around w/ RAW and pse6 didn't support it so I upgraded to 11)

So I went into one of my jpeg contact sheets and did the drag & drop into pse11, played around with it, saved it and it was put back onto my pm5 contact sheet with the changes, great. 

The only thing I'm still missing is the one button "edit" from pm5 into pse11, but I can live with that.  The thing that drove me crazy is that it opened pse11 when I clicked the "edit" button but no image, so I thought that I was missing a choice in the preferences drop down in pm5 or pse11.

Thanks a lot,

kr

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 09:05:09 AM »
Kevin,

I should of started off by telling you that I know just enough to be dangerous....especially about NEF-RAW.  As it turns out I was only shooting jpeg's for the paper anyway, both for speed & storage.

(I'm starting to play around w/ RAW and pse6 didn't support it so I upgraded to 11)

So I went into one of my jpeg contact sheets and did the drag & drop into pse11, played around with it, saved it and it was put back onto my pm5 contact sheet with the changes, great. 

The only thing I'm still missing is the one button "edit" from pm5 into pse11, but I can live with that.  The thing that drove me crazy is that it opened pse11 when I clicked the "edit" button but no image, so I thought that I was missing a choice in the preferences drop down in pm5 or pse11.

I went and purchased Photoshop Elements 11 and installed it on my system.  Adobe has packaged the application in an odd way and you have to be careful to pick the actual application and not the alias that Adobe created.  See my screenshot for the path to the actual application.  Once I told PM to use the actual application and not the alias then editing from PM works perfectly.

HTH,

-Kirk

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline CrimsonCrow

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • I Never Metaphysical I Didn't Like
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 05:44:21 PM »
Fabulous! I had the same problem, all fixed now! Yea!

Once I told PM to use the actual application and not the alias then editing from PM works perfectly.
::Mac OS X::10.6.8::2.7 GHz Intel Core i7::2.7GHz MacBook Pro / PM v.4.6.8::