Author Topic: At a loss... LR no longer sees PM star ratings  (Read 2957 times)

Offline janeenadamsmartin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
At a loss... LR no longer sees PM star ratings
« on: January 23, 2013, 09:38:35 PM »
Win7 64bit, PM5 build 13507 updated today.

I've looked at all the threads -  everyone set their IPTC/XMP settings and got it to work -- even I got it to work, but now something is broke and I can't figure it out what happened.

1.  I have the adobexmpsettings.jpg that kirk posted and I match it  (jpg: read embedded xmp before iptc, tiff: read xmp sidecar. then embedded xmp)
2.  I used Tools to remove embedded xmp from raw because I think I had set that based upon someone else's recommendation.
3.  I updated to the latest build  (13507 as of this evening)
4.  I removed all color class and star ratings, and re-starred my picks
5.  I have not made any changes in LR
5.  I rebooted PM5, LR, and the entire computer.

Clues:

I was fooling with showing raw+jpg as separate files, but later opted to show them together.
I was fooling with whether edits should affect the jpg or the raw.  I settled on jpg (tried raw, but it didn't help LR see star ratings)
I noticed that the CameraBits tutorial refers to a line item on the Preferences/Files page of:
     "on the same (Files) tab, set the 'Add tag, color class, and rating to IPTC/XMP:' popup menu to 'For all photos'"
I don't have that option on my Files tab, but since the manual is out of date, I don't know if I SHOULD have that option...

Anybody with any ideas?  Sorry to be dragging this topic up again, but I can't figure it out...
jan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: At a loss... LR no longer sees PM star ratings
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 09:44:56 PM »
Jan,

Win7 64bit, PM5 build 13507 updated today.

I've looked at all the threads -  everyone set their IPTC/XMP settings and got it to work -- even I got it to work, but now something is broke and I can't figure it out what happened.

1.  I have the adobexmpsettings.jpg that kirk posted and I match it  (jpg: read embedded xmp before iptc, tiff: read xmp sidecar. then embedded xmp)
2.  I used Tools to remove embedded xmp from raw because I think I had set that based upon someone else's recommendation.
3.  I updated to the latest build  (13507 as of this evening)
4.  I removed all color class and star ratings, and re-starred my picks
5.  I have not made any changes in LR
5.  I rebooted PM5, LR, and the entire computer.

Clues:

I was fooling with showing raw+jpg as separate files, but later opted to show them together.
I was fooling with whether edits should affect the jpg or the raw.  I settled on jpg (tried raw, but it didn't help LR see star ratings)
I noticed that the CameraBits tutorial refers to a line item on the Preferences/Files page of:
     "on the same (Files) tab, set the 'Add tag, color class, and rating to IPTC/XMP:' popup menu to 'For all photos'"
I don't have that option on my Files tab, but since the manual is out of date, I don't know if I SHOULD have that option...

Anybody with any ideas?  Sorry to be dragging this topic up again, but I can't figure it out...

When you returned to LR, did you force LR to read the metadata for the files you changed?  If not, LR will completely ignore any changes to the files made by external applications.

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 10:35:01 PM »
Hi Kirk -

No, I did not.   I didn't think I needed to do that as this is the first time import into LR.  (I don't recall having to force it before??)

I'm using Control-E from PM to send the folder to LR.  The entire folder goes to LR, not just my starred items and not just my selected images.  But before, I recall the stars showed up in LR and those are the items I checked to include in the import.  Now the entire folder is imported, but nothing is starred, thus, I cancel the import and LR is none the wiser.   I think.

To force LR to reread the metadata I believe I will have to import the entire folder, select all the photos, then execute the LR  "read metadata" menu option.  That sort of defeats the idea of only importing the starred photos into LR.   That's what has me puzzled..

jan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 10:36:38 PM »
Kirk,  should I be concerned that I am missing that menu item on the Preferences/Files tab?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 11:48:56 PM »
Jan,

Kirk,  should I be concerned that I am missing that menu item on the Preferences/Files tab?

The menu is in Lightroom, not Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 06:48:38 AM »
The menu item I am referring too is in PM.  I hope the attachment works.  It is from the camerabits home page/support/resources/preferences.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 07:42:49 AM »
Jan,

The menu item I am referring too is in PM.  I hope the attachment works.  It is from the camerabits home page/support/resources/preferences.

The screenshot is out of date and refers to PM 4.6.9 and not PM 5.  That setting is no longer editable in PM 5 and is internally set to "For all photos".

I'm pretty certain that if you go into LR and force it to load metadata from the file that you'll see your changes.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 07:57:56 AM by Kirk Baker »

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 08:04:44 AM »
okay, will do. 

i am hoping this is just a one-time fix, as selecting "read metadata" from LR requires that I import everything first -- and it seems others who have made this work are not importing everything into LR, just the starred ones.  If I have to import all my files into LR all the time to get to the starred ones, I will need to think of another way!

Will let you know

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 09:21:33 AM »
Jan,

okay, will do. 

i am hoping this is just a one-time fix, as selecting "read metadata" from LR requires that I import everything first -- and it seems others who have made this work are not importing everything into LR, just the starred ones.  If I have to import all my files into LR all the time to get to the starred ones, I will need to think of another way!

Will let you know

Did something change with LR recently?  I was under the impression that LR always had to import files, even if they were just referenced where they are (in-place importing).  All you should have to do is select the images you've worked on and then use the "Read Metadata from File" command on the Metadata menu to cause LR to re-read the metadata from the file (JPEG, TIFF, PSD) or sidecar XMP file (RAW).  Nothing needs to be imported again.

-Kirk