Author Topic: Auto subfolder creation on ingest  (Read 5527 times)

Offline hsaphoto

• View Profile
Auto subfolder creation on ingest
« on: February 16, 2008, 11:54:56 AM »
Kirk,

Could there be a way to have an option in the Ingest dialog to create a given number of subfolders within or aside from the destination folder. What I’m looking for is automated folder (or subfolder) creation. Within the main destination folder I always create subfolders (raw selec, jpeg hi-res, jpeg low-res, unselec, webfiles) to classify my images.  Right now I do that manually. I know Breeze System’s Downloader Pro has a script to create subfolders automatically that I used on a daily basis in my PC days.

Thanks for your time considering this request.

Hugo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Auto subfolder creation on ingest
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 08:13:10 PM »
Hugo,

Could there be a way to have an option in the Ingest dialog to create a given number of subfolders within or aside from the destination folder. What I’m looking for is automated folder (or subfolder) creation. Within the main destination folder I always create subfolders (raw selec, jpeg hi-res, jpeg low-res, unselec, webfiles) to classify my images.  Right now I do that manually. I know Breeze System’s Downloader Pro has a script to create subfolders automatically that I used on a daily basis in my PC days.

Thanks for your time considering this request.

It's already on our list to implement.  I don't know if it will make it into the initial 4.6 release version.

-Kirk

Offline hsaphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 09:40:32 PM »
Thanks Kirk !

Offline doug_PM_coull

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Dougie Coull Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 10:10:48 AM »
Did the option to create a subfolder during ingest make it in to 4.6?

If so, can someone explain how I can implement?

Many thanks.
Cheers,

Dougie.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 10:36:31 AM »
Doug,

Did the option to create a subfolder during ingest make it in to 4.6?

No.  And it isn't in PM 5 either.

-Kirk

Offline doug_PM_coull

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Dougie Coull Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 01:25:30 PM »
Thanks Kirk, saves me trying to figure it out   :)
Cheers,

Dougie.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 09:00:44 PM »
On the ingest dialog you can select to download your images into
1. destination folder directly
2. dated folder
3. folder with name
4. dated folder then folder with name

if you use the later two then you can use variables like {mediatype} that will create separate folders to put your image files (RAW, JGP and WAV voice memos together) video files (and their sidecar files) and other filetypes into separate folders.
For my workflow this is enough to separate the files. I produce other subfolders with LightRoom when I export the edited photos - I have different export presets I just click on the web JPG or high res JPG preset (or both) and LR exports them into folders named properly by the used resolution and my other settings, this provides me the desired folder structure I prefer to use:
dated folder with event name images, videos, audio, other documents like presskit, rosters, handout photos, etc in separate folders usually named {year4}-{month0}-{day0}_Eventname({mediatype}). This results me a set of folders:
2013-01-25_XYpressConference(audio) - I create it manually and copy voice recordings from a digital recorder here
2013-01-25_XYpressConference(docs) - I create it manually and copy other documents here from web or press infos
2013-01-25_XYpressConference(video) - PM ingests videos from cards into it
2013-01-25_XYpressConference(still) - PM ingests all image files and in camera voice memos here
and I have subfolders under the still folder created by LR automatically under the RAW image folder for LRexportJPGweb, LRexportJPGfull, LRexportCustomer, LRexportTIFF, LRexportWatermarked whaterver

If you use the "dated folder then folder with name" option on the ingest dialog then it will result the {mediatype} folders being created under a dated folder adding a higher level hierarchy to it - perhaps closer to your liking.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com