Author Topic: New Icons Build 13645...whoa!  (Read 17634 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: New Icons Build 13645...whoa!
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 09:40:29 AM »
For me "-" does not mean "delete", only "smaller"  etc…

The minus (-) icon is "deselect"
The trash icon is "delete"

I hope that clears things up.

-Kirk

Offline pwp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 03:59:15 PM »
When you are making important creative decisions about images, the less stuff dancing around in your peripheral vision the better.

Like most regular PM users, icons are barely used or referred to as keyboard shortcuts rule. Our lives are already overloaded with neon eye-candy.

If there is no will to change the Toys R Us icons to something that is not going to raise clients blood pressure and remain an unwelcome, irritating distraction in a program I spend hours working with every day, can you at least give PC users the option to hide the toolbar in preview as in the Mac version? Or at the very least revert back to the perfectly functional and non-dazzling icons used in 4.6.x. ?

Many thanks,
Paul

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 04:07:45 PM »
Paul,

When you are making important creative decisions about images, the less stuff dancing around in your peripheral vision the better.

Like most regular PM users, icons are barely used or referred to as keyboard shortcuts rule. Our lives are already overloaded with neon eye-candy.

If there is no will to change the Toys R Us icons to something that is not going to raise clients blood pressure and remain an unwelcome, irritating distraction in a program I spend hours working with every day, can you at least give PC users the option to hide the toolbar in preview as in the Mac version? Or at the very least revert back to the perfectly functional and non-dazzling icons used in 4.6.x. ?

It is unlikely that we would ever use the PM 4.6 icons since some of the PM 5 versions don't exist in the PM 4.6 set.

As for hiding the toolbar, what mechanism do you suggest?  I can't put a widget in the title bar (Microsoft has made that option extremely complex with Aero) and the rest of the UI can be completely hidden (thumbnails and controls pane).

As for 'dancing around in your peripheral vision', what do you mean?  The icons do not animate.

-Kirk

Offline pwp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 04:43:10 PM »
As for 'dancing around in your peripheral vision', what do you mean?  The icons do not animate.
-Kirk

Hah! Thank goodness the icons don't animate, but you must get the point. Slick, minimal, preferably monochrome icon design would elevate the PM5 GUI from Tonka Toy to the premium professional tool level it deserves. The core functionality of PM5 is unrivaled.  An appropriate, professional alignment of GUI & core functionality is what I'd genuinely like to see.

As for hiding the toolbar, what mechanism do you suggest? 
-Kirk

I'm not a programmer so can't offer a technical suggestion there. That's unfortunate if MS make it difficult.

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 02:09:53 PM by pwp »

Offline Tom Parkes 2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 11:28:30 AM »
I'm coming late to this having only just updated last night. My first reaction to the new icons was "my eyes!".

I wasn't a huge fan of the old icons so a change is welcome but the new icons are if anything a backward step. Principally, I dislike the colour and I have to say the design of the icons themselves means nothing to me.  I had to roll over some of them and let the tooltips tell me what they were, and this is in software I use on a daily basis.  I'd like to echo Nick Didlick's comments, simple shaded monochrome designs that actually look like what they represent please. No blobs and no colours.

Thanks for your attention to this, as always Kirk.

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 02:01:59 AM »
And I agree the new Icons suck and they are confusing for many users of PM. The solution is simple and I have mentioned it to the folks at CBits directly. Follow the Icon design of the Mail programs on the MAC and PC OS. MAC Mail (for Mac users) and PC Outlook (for PC users) while they are not the greatest Icons they are familiar and comfortable for all users.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The icons used in Apple's Mail program are simple, easy to understand and positively elegant compared to PM5's current icons. The Apple style of icon would compliment the overall design and feel of PM5 perfectly... lean, fast, efficient.

As others have mentioned, the current icons are simply too distracting, bloated and cartoon-like, and they do not fit in at all with the rest of the design.

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 05:21:49 PM »
Hi All,
Might I suggest that whether PM icons are nice/efficient/distracting/ugly etc., that is all in the eye of the user and by default some might find them unappealing, others would be indifferent, others (last choice) may like them.

Perhaps someone at Camerabits could post a simple add-on utility that would allow the tweaking of these icons? It would fit very well in the extras folder.

Give all of us something to do instead of posting our views of the icons.
N

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 05:54:09 PM »
Might I suggest that whether PM icons are nice/efficient/distracting/ugly etc., that is all in the eye of the user and by default some might find them unappealing, others would be indifferent, others (last choice) may like them.

Perhaps someone at Camerabits could post a simple add-on utility that would allow the tweaking of these icons? It would fit very well in the extras folder.

Give all of us something to do instead of posting our views of the icons.

I'd rather work on Cataloging.

-Kirk

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 05:39:34 PM »
Yes, Kirk.  Please do!

Offline Ted Grudzinski

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 09:34:32 AM »
I also thought the edit icon was a bikini. Put me in the don't like column these colors either.