Author Topic: Feature request: Burn CD/DVD ISO image  (Read 1636 times)

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
Feature request: Burn CD/DVD ISO image
« on: February 06, 2013, 05:35:05 AM »
Instead of mailing CD/DVDs to customers, I would like to be able to generate an ISO image from PM when burning a batch of images which I could then send to them via whatever means I want.  They would have the option to mount the ISO file using a tool like MagicDisk or they could burn it to physical medial themselves at their end.

The benefit of this is to let me keep all of the images packaged in a "batch" with less cross-platform complications of ZIP/SIT file compression and let the customer easily mount or burn the resulting package at the other end.

Also, as postage rates rise and services end (i.e. Saturday First Class mail), I am looking to move away from shipping physical media and letting my customers take over burning the CDs.

Short of a PM enhancement, is there a Windows utility/driver that can appear like a CD/DVD burner to the software and I can write to from PM that results in an ISO file?

Thanks!

-Mike Price
Fairfield Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Feature request: Burn CD/DVD ISO image
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 06:25:23 AM »
Mike,

Instead of mailing CD/DVDs to customers, I would like to be able to generate an ISO image from PM when burning a batch of images which I could then send to them via whatever means I want.  They would have the option to mount the ISO file using a tool like MagicDisk or they could burn it to physical medial themselves at their end.

The benefit of this is to let me keep all of the images packaged in a "batch" with less cross-platform complications of ZIP/SIT file compression and let the customer easily mount or burn the resulting package at the other end.

Also, as postage rates rise and services end (i.e. Saturday First Class mail), I am looking to move away from shipping physical media and letting my customers take over burning the CDs.

Short of a PM enhancement, is there a Windows utility/driver that can appear like a CD/DVD burner to the software and I can write to from PM that results in an ISO file?

I have no idea about drivers that emulate ISO files when written to like a CD/DVD burner, nor do I know how hard it is to create an ISO file from scratch.  But Zip is completely cross-plaform now.  Both Mac OS X and Windows have built-in capability of unpacking Zip files.  Almost no one uses Stuffit (.SIT) files anymore on Mac OS X so you can safely forget about that format.

I suggest you simply use Zip files.

-Kirk