Author Topic: No feedback when tagging and a few other surprises.  (Read 3075 times)

Offline calibreton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
No feedback when tagging and a few other surprises.
« on: February 06, 2013, 08:31:44 AM »
I am using the latest version on Windows 7. I have been using Picasa for years with JPGs for culling, because it is the fastest thing around. Several pro friends turned me onto PM for the culling speed using raw files, and I have to agree, the speed is amazing.

But there are a few user interface issues that could be improved:

1- While culling in preview mode, I have no feedback to let me know that I successfully tagged something. Or gave it a star rating, or a color class (the small real estate at the bottom of the screen is too far and too small to provide feedback; my eyes are in the middle of the picture above). Compare to Picassa: when I "star" a picture, a big star flies up through the picture. When I un-star a picture, the star flies down through the picture. No possible error.
A quick flash of whatever tagging / color / rating over the preview picture could solve that.

2- "T" key for tagging. Too small a key, lost in the middle of many other keys that feel the same when my eyes are up on the screen. My preference would be the space bar, but everybody will have different keyboards configurations and different preferences. So why not give the users the option to assign keys?

3- Picture counter in preview screen. Something that would tell me "you are on picture # 235 of 4,256". Right now all I have is the scroll bar to try to estimate how far I have gone.

I am a new user, so if there are ways of doing this that I missed, please do tell.

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Re: No feedback when tagging and a few other surprises.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 08:40:02 AM »
Hi!

To answer 2 of your questions:

1.) Go to the Preferences, Preview and have a look on the top right (on a Mac at least). There you "tune" what happens when using one of the 3 options you described. If you tag / rate / color an image it will advance to the next one.
(Screenshot 1)

3.) Have a look in the title bar (also at least for the Mac).
(Screenshot 2)

hth
Sven

[attachment deleted by admin]
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline calibreton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 08:57:02 AM »
You are absolutely correct about #3, I missed it; thank you, that's going to be useful.

On #2, I did see the preference to move to the next when you tag, but that still does not provide fool-proof confirmation of what you just did. Did you hit key #4 instead of #1 by accident? You would have to look down and hunt for the answer.

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 09:04:23 AM »
On #2, I did see the preference to move to the next when you tag, but that still does not provide fool-proof confirmation of what you just did. Did you hit key #4 instead of #1 by accident? You would have to look down and hunt for the answer.

For me it doesn't really matter as my workflow involves only 2 important color classes.
When I am back from a shoot I browse my images and select one color for the keepers. All other images are deleted when finished looking through them.
Back to the thumbnail view i hide all color-classed images and delete the rest.
After editing the RAW's the jpg-files will get a different color class.

And even if I want to check what I have selected as color it is really easy to use the left arrow key to go back and have a quick look...

Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.