Author Topic: Auto Save in Low Res JPEG  (Read 7238 times)

Offline Astonian

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Auto Save in Low Res JPEG
« on: February 07, 2013, 12:24:18 PM »
Hi I use Photomechanic V5 on a mac using the latest os X

This is what im trying to do, I caption in PM and then open in Photoshop, i have an action that saves the Original to (Original Folder), i crop image and make adjustments then save the image as a High res image using Photoshop JPEG 12 to a high Res folder, then i need to save a low res of that image to near 2Mb for sending to the papers etc, i can save individual images by clicking save as but im trying to speed my process up.

Is there a way that once a image shows up in the High res folder (which PM is watching) it automatically copy's/re saves that image into a low res folder but limited as close to 2MB as possible.

Can this be done ?

Thank you in Advance

Ian Cook

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Auto Save in Low Res JPEG
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 12:55:42 PM »
Ian,

Hi I use Photomechanic V5 on a mac using the latest os X

This is what im trying to do, I caption in PM and then open in Photoshop, i have an action that saves the Original to (Original Folder), i crop image and make adjustments then save the image as a High res image using Photoshop JPEG 12 to a high Res folder, then i need to save a low res of that image to near 2Mb for sending to the papers etc, i can save individual images by clicking save as but im trying to speed my process up.

Is there a way that once a image shows up in the High res folder (which PM is watching) it automatically copy's/re saves that image into a low res folder but limited as close to 2MB as possible.

Can this be done ?

No, it cannot be done automatically.  But unless you really need those low resolution images after they're uploaded, there is no need to generate them in the first place.  All of Photo Mechanic's Upload templates can scale your images and force their size to meet your needs.  Just set the JPEG quality all the way down and set the size to 2 MB.  Set the desired scale size.  Upload.

The images will arrive at the destination in the scaled size you want and the final file size will be within your limits.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Astonian

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 01:10:01 PM »
Hi Krik,

Thank you for your reply, and quick response, I need to keep the original for future use, and save a High res edited version for Magazines etc then save a lower res image to get out to the press for live images, because if i sent the high res images during a game it would slow up my bandwidth, so 2 mb file size is good.

Could this be an option in future addition of PM ?

Thank you

Ian Cook

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 01:20:08 PM »
Ian,

You don't say you need to keep the low res images, so why not try the approach Kirk suggested and use the PM uploaded to generate and upload the low res images on the fly?

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Astonian

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 01:51:44 PM »
I Need all three, the agency i work for requires it

My first process is to Caption and keyword in the images i want, say a goal or celebration in PM and then i export to Photoshop.

The agency requires Originals & High Res of all edited images day after the game

And Low Res images of edited images only (2MB) during the game.

I have one action that when i open in photoshop, i press that and it saves it to the originals folder

I then edit it and use another Action to save it High Res Edited (Photoshop 12) that file might be 5 MB in size (to large to send out if on a deadline)

I then re save as in Photoshop and adjust the slider until i have an image about 2Mb in size to a Low Res folder.

In lightroom i can export and tell LR to set the size to 2MB and you can do the same in PM, i just wondered if there was a way of setting this up (Like a action) or watching folder so if an image was placed in the high res folder it would automatically resave it in the low res to the nearest size of 2mb

Cheers guys

Ian

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 02:38:15 PM »
Ian,

I Need all three, the agency i work for requires it

My first process is to Caption and keyword in the images i want, say a goal or celebration in PM and then i export to Photoshop.

The agency requires Originals & High Res of all edited images day after the game

And Low Res images of edited images only (2MB) during the game.

I have one action that when i open in photoshop, i press that and it saves it to the originals folder

I then edit it and use another Action to save it High Res Edited (Photoshop 12) that file might be 5 MB in size (to large to send out if on a deadline)

I then re save as in Photoshop and adjust the slider until i have an image about 2Mb in size to a Low Res folder.

In lightroom i can export and tell LR to set the size to 2MB and you can do the same in PM, i just wondered if there was a way of setting this up (Like a action) or watching folder so if an image was placed in the high res folder it would automatically resave it in the low res to the nearest size of 2mb

No.  No automatic way.  But if you're going to upload anyway and you want to keep the ones you sent, the Upload templates support saving what was sent to a folder you specify.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Astonian

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 03:06:23 PM »
Thanks Kirk

Could this be a possible addition in an upgrade to PM.

do you think this could be a benefit to add to PM ?

Thank you for your quick response.

Ian Cook

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 03:28:19 PM »
Ian,

Could this be a possible addition in an upgrade to PM.

do you think this could be a benefit to add to PM ?

I'm not sure what needs to be added.  Didn't I solve your problem of retaining the reduced size images that are generated during the upload?

-Kirk

Offline Astonian

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 04:17:10 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Sorry i didn't understand what you meant by Retaining the reduced size, as the reduced size is only decided at the end of the process ?

Can you please explain more, sorry for sounding dumb, i,m trying to get my head around it,

When i was shooting at the olympics i spoke to many snappers who all said it would be great to have an action function in PM, and its been a common discussion with us snappers in press room at various Premiership Soccer games.  .

we all love PM and believe me its the dogs B*&ocks, but if I'm getting my wires crossed then please point me in the right direction.

Many Thanks

Ian

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 04:25:32 PM »
Ian,

Sorry i didn't understand what you meant by Retaining the reduced size, as the reduced size is only decided at the end of the process ?

Can you please explain more, sorry for sounding dumb, i,m trying to get my head around it,

Perhaps the disconnect is that you don't use the Uploader system built into Photo Mechanic?

Basically you select images and bring up the Uploader from the File menu.   You choose the type of upload you want to do, things like FTP, PhotoShelter, Zenfolio, etc.  There are a bunch of options in the templates, ones that let you scale your image to fit a box, convert to sRGB, set JPEG quality and file size limits.  These operations cause your original file to be processed according to your settings and the resulting image is uploaded to your service.  There is an option to save the uploaded files to a specific location or to a subfolder that will be created where the original image resides.

So in your case you would edit in Photoshop, using your action.  Return to PM, browse the folder where your action saved, select all, set your settings including the option to save the uploaded images and you'd be done.

Outside of what I have suggested above, there is no facility to watch for new images and then perform some sort of save as operation on each of them.  We do offer a feature that will watch a folder for new images and Ingest them--Live Ingest, but it does no image processing.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Astonian

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 11:21:22 PM »
I understand now Kirk, Thank you for your time in explaining

Ian