Author Topic: image size/ftp/workflow help  (Read 6811 times)

Offline innaeddy1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
image size/ftp/workflow help
« on: February 10, 2013, 11:34:36 PM »
I am running the lates PM version on a PC with windows 7. One of the wires that I shoot for wants images in the 2-3mb range. After ingest and select, I open the images in PS4. I do whatever needs done then save back to PM with a compression of 9-12 to have the file in the range needed. After all is done I select images to ftp, set limit file size to 3mb and quality to 80. The last 4 times that I have ftp'd images to this certain wire i get a message to limit file size to 2-3mb, as some have been in the 6-10mb range. I have sent images to this certain wire with no problems, and to other wires with file restrictions. My question is, did I set something by accident or what as I have not changed my workflow. I would think that the limit file size would catch a file if it slipped by.

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Re: image size/ftp/workflow help
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 11:59:08 PM »
Hi!

The quality of 80 might be to high to achieve the limit of 3 MB.

The quality you set together with the file size limit is the MINIMUM quality you want to have. Try setting the minimum quality to 10 or 15. PM will adjust the quality to the maximum possible to not exceed the file size limit.

hth
Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 06:59:45 AM »
I am running the lates PM version on a PC with windows 7. One of the wires that I shoot for wants images in the 2-3mb range. After ingest and select, I open the images in PS4. I do whatever needs done then save back to PM with a compression of 9-12 to have the file in the range needed. After all is done I select images to ftp, set limit file size to 3mb and quality to 80. The last 4 times that I have ftp'd images to this certain wire i get a message to limit file size to 2-3mb, as some have been in the 6-10mb range. I have sent images to this certain wire with no problems, and to other wires with file restrictions. My question is, did I set something by accident or what as I have not changed my workflow. I would think that the limit file size would catch a file if it slipped by.

For very best results, set the quality all the way down to 1.  All the way to the left.  Then enter your maximum size.  There is no range of sizes.  Set it to the maximum they're willing to receive.

-Kirk

Offline innaeddy1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 01:02:27 PM »
thank you

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 04:27:25 PM »

For very best results, set the quality all the way down to 1.  All the way to the left.  Then enter your maximum size.  There is no range of sizes.  Set it to the maximum they're willing to receive.

-Kirk

Just for the record, I also had a hard time to figure out how to work with Quality and Size Limit simultaneously.
I am not quite sure but I think common sense would say that if you fix a size limit it shoud overrun the quality set...
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 10:14:04 PM »
I am not quite sure but I think common sense would say that if you fix a size limit it shoud overrun the quality set...

Luiz, actually the way PM has implemented it right now makes most sense (at least to me); if you don't care about a minimum quality and only about file size, that's what you need to specify. When you do care about a minimum quality, you specify one, and that's what you get ;D

All makes perfect sense to me  ;)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 03:21:30 AM »

Luiz, actually the way PM has implemented it right now makes most sense (at least to me); if you don't care about a minimum quality and only about file size, that's what you need to specify. When you do care about a minimum quality, you specify one, and that's what you get ;D

All makes perfect sense to me  ;)

Thanks, Hayo
Good to hear another opinion on the matter (and the voice of expericence...).
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi