Author Topic: "Encountered an improper argument"  (Read 5725 times)

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
"Encountered an improper argument"
« on: February 12, 2013, 08:18:49 AM »
I am running Win7 64bit on my PC and I have encountered the attached problem when I open PM5 latest build. The message comes up shortly after loading PM and locks the program. The only way I can close PM is to use escape to close the message and immediately click the exit button on the top right. I have deleted and reinstalled the program but still have the problem.

The problem started when I was using my 4.5.3 User's Guide to sort out how to show a mixture of tagged, numbered and colour classed images together from a recent event. I was using the keyboard shortcuts shown in the guide which are only shown for a Mac and I got the PC short cuts wrong.

How can I sort this out?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "Encountered an improper argument"
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 09:30:53 AM »
I am running Win7 64bit on my PC and I have encountered the attached problem when I open PM5 latest build. The message comes up shortly after loading PM and locks the program. The only way I can close PM is to use escape to close the message and immediately click the exit button on the top right. I have deleted and reinstalled the program but still have the problem.

The problem started when I was using my 4.5.3 User's Guide to sort out how to show a mixture of tagged, numbered and colour classed images together from a recent event. I was using the keyboard shortcuts shown in the guide which are only shown for a Mac and I got the PC short cuts wrong.

I suggest calling the support guys at 503-547-2888 and they should be able to help you out.

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 10:11:13 AM »
Thanks Kirk.

I'm a bit pushed at the moment and using PM 4.6.9. I'll ring them as soon as I can.

David

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 05:03:02 AM »
Kirk,

Just to say that the problem has now been cured.

I was using 4.6.9 for a few days as under pressure. In an effort to try and resolve the matter asap I then backed up the preferences on v4.6.9 and then imported them into v5 before the "Encountered..." box appeared and it cured it.

Now back on v5.

David

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 08:49:25 AM »
Kirk,

Following on from the above I have had to adjust the Stationery content to bring it back to what it was before the reported fault. When I move fields from Column 2 to Column 1 they sometimes disappear. I have reported this before.

To ensure that I don't lose the fields permanently, as originally reported, I have saved the Pad after each move. A field that consistently disappears when moved to Column 1 is Intellectual Genre.

Another field that goes missing is "Rights Usage Terms" moving it from column 1 to column 2.

There has been no problems with the "Customize IPTC Info".

I am on Win7 Pro 64bit with latest version.

Is there any way round this?

David
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 09:02:23 AM by judophotos »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 08:54:17 AM »
David,

Following on from the above I have had to adjust the Stationery content to bring it back to what it was before the reported fault. When I move fields from Column 2 to Column 1 they sometimes disappear. I have reported this before.

To ensure that I don't lose the fields permanently, as originally reported, I have saved the Pad after each move. A field that consistently disappears when moved to Column 1 is Intellectual Genre. There has been no problems with the "Customize IPTC Info".

I am on Win7 Pro 64bit with latest version.

Is there any way round this?

Not that I know of.  I need to catch it in the act on my own system and fix the bug.  If you can come up with a set of steps that reproduces the problem, please let me know what they are.  I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 09:56:57 AM »
For the agency I supply I use the standard Classic IPTC as they will not accept anything else. When I put images on my own website I want to add more information but only have the fields visible that are relevant to my usage.

So what I am doing is reducing the visible fields in the Stationery Pad by turning off all those that I don't need and then trying to level up the 2 columns so that I can see as many of the usable fields as I need without scrolling up and down to fill fields in.  That requires me to move fields from column 1 to column 2 or 2 to 1 as needed and that is when the problem starts.

It happens when I move individual fields or a group of fields such as Contact Info.

I hope this helps.
David