Author Topic: photoshop:DateCreated being inserted into saved XMP files  (Read 4534 times)

Offline damonlynch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
photoshop:DateCreated being inserted into saved XMP files
« on: March 02, 2013, 01:44:08 PM »
Photo mechanic version 5.0, build 13764. Platform: Windows 8 64 bit.

When saving a set of IPTC info into an XMP sidecar file for use with other images using the "Save..." command in the IPTC info window, photoshop:DateCreated is included in the saved file. This is annoying because when applying the set of information to another image using the "Load..." command, the next image's DateCreated metadata is overwritten. To workaround this problem I must manually edit the saved XMP sidecar file using a text editor, deleting the line containing the value photoshop:DateCreated.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: photoshop:DateCreated being inserted into saved XMP files
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 03:35:55 PM »
Photo mechanic version 5.0, build 13764. Platform: Windows 8 64 bit.

When saving a set of IPTC info into an XMP sidecar file for use with other images using the "Save..." command in the IPTC info window, photoshop:DateCreated is included in the saved file. This is annoying because when applying the set of information to another image using the "Load..." command, the next image's DateCreated metadata is overwritten. To workaround this problem I must manually edit the saved XMP sidecar file using a text editor, deleting the line containing the value photoshop:DateCreated.

Why not use the Copy/Paste features instead?  The date/time is not applied with Copy/Paste.

-Kirk

Offline damonlynch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 08:11:13 PM »
Because using copy & paste is grossly inefficient compared to saving 'base' metadata in XMP files. In my case I have XMP files per city, for instance, which contain pretty much everything I need to get started entering metadata for a photo taken in a particular city.  Using this approach there is no need to copy and paste and then immediately strip out what I don't want from the copy source.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 10:04:04 PM »
Because using copy & paste is grossly inefficient compared to saving 'base' metadata in XMP files. In my case I have XMP files per city, for instance, which contain pretty much everything I need to get started entering metadata for a photo taken in a particular city.  Using this approach there is no need to copy and paste and then immediately strip out what I don't want from the copy source.

Agreed.  I had no idea from your description that you were using this method for common metadata.  Base metadata is usually applied in the IPTC Stationery Pad, in bulk.  The IPTC Stationery Pad also won't set a specific time either.

I suggest you use the IPTC Stationery Pad dialog instead of the IPTC Info dialog.  Also I would recommend using the snapshot button instead of saving out and loading individual files.  Fewer mouse clicks that way.

HTH,

-Kirk