Author Topic: Permanent User/Client fields?  (Read 4441 times)

Offline andycollings

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Permanent User/Client fields?
« on: February 14, 2013, 08:40:38 AM »
Hi
I'd like to have 3 fields available: ClientFirstName, ClientLastName, ClientCompany (the company client works for). I know the user/client "pad" can be used for this purpose but my take on user/client is that it's not permanent and that those fields are not part of the image's metadata. I've been using supp1,2,3 for this purpose but I'd like to use those fields for something else and I'm running out of misc fields to use. Thanks!

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Permanent User/Client fields?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 08:58:50 AM »
Andy,

Do you mean that you want new custom XMP fields that can be edited in the IPTC Info and IPTC Stationery Pad?

-Kirk

Offline andycollings

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 03:37:13 AM »
Hi Kirk
I don't need new custom fields. I used that naming convention incorrectly, I suppose. My question was: does the user/client data entry "window/pad" information travel with the images or is it simply a temporary data entry area that will be lost the very next time you enter data into it?
I want to permanently add the first name, last name and company of the person I photograph into my iptc info for every photography. I've been using supp1, supp2 and supp3 for this purpose but now need to use those fields for other data.
My question is: is there a designated area to enter  first name, last name and company of the person I photograph? I know that the caption area is a place to put such info (and I use it for that purpose) but I also need the info in separate/distinct fields so that I can use the data for other purposes (like customizing the filename in certain instances).

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 04:08:46 AM »
The user/client data exists only once and is not associated with your images at all. If you enter new data, the old data is lost.

To save a set of user or client data, use the snapshot function (lightning bolt).

I use the user/client fields to drive e.g., where my images for a client are stored (the folder) and also to fill some of the IPTC entries.

IPTC has special variables to store the information of e.g., the people and location you photographed. I suggest you use these instead of the caption.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 07:11:06 AM »
Hi Kirk
I don't need new custom fields. I used that naming convention incorrectly, I suppose. My question was: does the user/client data entry "window/pad" information travel with the images or is it simply a temporary data entry area that will be lost the very next time you enter data into it?
I want to permanently add the first name, last name and company of the person I photograph into my iptc info for every photography. I've been using supp1, supp2 and supp3 for this purpose but now need to use those fields for other data.
My question is: is there a designated area to enter  first name, last name and company of the person I photograph? I know that the caption area is a place to put such info (and I use it for that purpose) but I also need the info in separate/distinct fields so that I can use the data for other purposes (like customizing the filename in certain instances).

Use the "Persons shown" field for the full name.  Re-purpose any other fields you like for the individual parts you need later.  There are dozens of new fields in PM5 vs PM4.x that you could use.

-Kirk

Offline andycollings

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 03:36:53 AM »
Are the dozens of new fields in pm5 the ones like model release etc? I searched through the iptc stationary pad the other day and while there are a lot of new areas, I did not see something similar to supp1,2,3 as a basic variable unused for another specific function.
Persons shown is great and thank you for that advice. Unfortunately I have to have first and last names separate for individuals so I can use FirstName (space) LastName in caption but use LastName_FirstName in the filename.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 08:36:14 AM »
Are the dozens of new fields in pm5 the ones like model release etc? I searched through the iptc stationary pad the other day and while there are a lot of new areas, I did not see something similar to supp1,2,3 as a basic variable unused for another specific function.
Persons shown is great and thank you for that advice. Unfortunately I have to have first and last names separate for individuals so I can use FirstName (space) LastName in caption but use LastName_FirstName in the filename.

OK, but there is nothing stopping you from using the other fields any way you like.  We won't sick the metadata police on you, I promise. ;)

-Kirk