Author Topic: Saving paths into JPEGS  (Read 3370 times)

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
Saving paths into JPEGS
« on: February 15, 2013, 04:25:57 AM »
I'd like to be able to save paths, either clipping or photoshop work paths when saving jpegs in PM.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Saving paths into JPEGS
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 07:03:25 AM »
I'd like to be able to save paths, either clipping or photoshop work paths when saving jpegs in PM.

Sorry, I have no idea if that is even possible in the JPEG format.

-Kirk

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 08:54:05 AM »
Photoshop is able to save paths into Jpegs.
I can't see any specific info coming up in a google search but here's someone else commenting on how they do it.
http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/11551/clipping-mask-retained-in-jpg-file
If you could find out where PS stores it's path data could you allow it to be passed on to the output Jpeg?

FYI
As part of my workflow I would like to extend the image canvas in PS then use the watermark feature of PM to write metadata text to state the caption, who owns a licence to use the image on naturally who took the pic. I've used an old Russell Brown PS script in the past to do this and put a path around the image to allow savvy folks to remove the border easily, but its no longer working or supported.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 09:01:32 AM »
Photoshop is able to save paths into Jpegs.
I can't see any specific info coming up in a google search but here's someone else commenting on how they do it.
http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/11551/clipping-mask-retained-in-jpg-file
If you could find out where PS stores it's path data could you allow it to be passed on to the output Jpeg?

FYI
As part of my workflow I would like to extend the image canvas in PS then use the watermark feature of PM to write metadata text to state the caption, who owns a licence to use the image on naturally who took the pic. I've used an old Russell Brown PS script in the past to do this and put a path around the image to allow savvy folks to remove the border easily, but its no longer working or supported.

It is unlikely that we would add such a feature that would rely on us figuring out how their data works.  We just don't have the time for such investigation.

-Kirk

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 09:15:28 AM »
Isn't handling image metadata exactly what camerabits do? Do you need to figure it out or just copy it over to the output file. For example you might not understand my caption text if I wrote it in a secret code but you could write it out just the same.
To be clear, I would just like people to be able to use the path when they open my image in photoshop.
Here's another bit of search engine fruit... seems that paths might not be an Adobe proprietary thing.

"JPGs can contain a clipping path, run 'identify.exe -verbose' from ImageMagick imagemagick.org on the JPG, you'll see the path in the output. If you can't find c# code you could always launch identify.exe and process the output. – russau Mar 10 '12 at 12:30"
source: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8451659/extract-clipping-path-info-from-jpg-saved-with-clipping-path-in-c-sharp

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 10:16:58 AM »
Isn't handling image metadata exactly what camerabits do? Do you need to figure it out or just copy it over to the output file. For example you might not understand my caption text if I wrote it in a secret code but you could write it out just the same.
To be clear, I would just like people to be able to use the path when they open my image in photoshop.
Here's another bit of search engine fruit... seems that paths might not be an Adobe proprietary thing.

"JPGs can contain a clipping path, run 'identify.exe -verbose' from ImageMagick imagemagick.org on the JPG, you'll see the path in the output. If you can't find c# code you could always launch identify.exe and process the output. – russau Mar 10 '12 at 12:30"
source: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8451659/extract-clipping-path-info-from-jpg-saved-with-clipping-path-in-c-sharp

If there were a number of people who wanted such a feature and we were done with our Cataloging efforts then perhaps we would consider further investigation.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer and Workshop Leader
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 11:13:09 AM »
I'm not sure what you want PM to actually do. Isn't it enough that PM simply leaves the path info intact? Isn't this what is done already?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl
Blog: blog.hayobaan.nl
500px: 500px.com/HayoBaan
Facebook: facebook.com/HayoBaan

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 02:04:57 PM »

Hi Hayo
If you are doing a "save as" to jpeg in PM and seeing paths still in the images when you open them in PS I'd love to hear about it cause I'm not.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer and Workshop Leader
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 10:07:47 PM »
If you are doing a "save as" to jpeg in PM and seeing paths still in the images when you open them in PS I'd love to hear about it cause I'm not.

Ah, I see, you'd like PM to retain the clipping path when performing a save as from eg a psd or tiff. I thought you meant PM threw away already existing path info when manipulating files.

Anyway, I don't think this can be achieved easily. I think it would require PM to recalculate the path, something that is simply beyond its capabilities (and in my opinion really is something that should best be done in an image editor, not in a “browser.”)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl
Blog: blog.hayobaan.nl
500px: 500px.com/HayoBaan
Facebook: facebook.com/HayoBaan

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 01:01:03 PM »
Ok, after further reading, putting paths into jpegs is the work of Adobe and isn't a feature of the standard Jpeg spec. It'd be nice if PM did handle them but I can see why it's not likely to happen.