Author Topic: Build R13764 Does Not Show Subfolders for Hard Drives  (Read 7345 times)

Offline PhotogJC1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Build R13764 Does Not Show Subfolders for Hard Drives
« on: February 21, 2013, 11:22:07 AM »
This update eliminates the subfloders of all HDD drives in the navigator making it impossible to use efficiently.  What needs to be done to get the subfolders back?  I am a PM user since 2007 (now PM5) and this is a Vista Ultimate 64 bit machine.  I should not have updated from build R13645 and now can't go backwards to clear the bug.  What should I do?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:32:41 AM by PhotogJC1 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Build R13764 Does Not Show Subfolders for Hard Drives
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 11:50:55 AM »
This update eliminates the subfloders of all HDD drives in the navigator making it impossible to use efficiently.  What needs to be done to get the subfolders back?  I am a PM user since 2007 (now PM5) and this is a Vista Ultimate 64 bit machine.  I should not have updated from build R13645 and now can't go backwards to clear the bug.  What should I do?

You can go back to build 13645.  Download build 13645 here:

http://camerabits.fileburst.com/PM5SetupR13645.exe

Install it and you should be good to go.

-Kirk

Offline PhotogJC1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 12:18:29 PM »
I alreasdy tried installing build R13645 using the Reinstll/Update selection from the install screen.  It does not resolve the problem.  Do I have to completly Uninstall PM5 and start from scratch and if so wont my registration uses exceed the licenses allowed (unless there is a way to Deactivate a license use)?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 12:21:14 PM »
I alreasdy tried installing build R13645 using the Reinstll/Update selection from the install screen.  It does not resolve the problem.  Do I have to completly Uninstall PM5 and start from scratch and if so wont my registration uses exceed the licenses allowed (unless there is a way to Deactivate a license use)?

Uninstalling does not deactivate.  Just uninstall build 13764 and install build 13645.  You shouldn't lose activation or preferences through the procedure.

-Kirk

Offline PhotogJC1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 12:30:26 PM »
Hi Kirk,
Completely Uninstalling and then Re-Installing build R13645 resolved the problem (bug in R13764) and it appears at first blush all preferences remain intact.
Thanks

Offline disci

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Website
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 04:37:46 PM »
Hi

I don't know where else to write this, so hopefully here is ok for the time being? I'm the same as PhotogJC1 - I lament the apparent loss of being able to expand the contents of hard drives in the navigator. I apologise I can't find where explanatory details have been given about this feature loss.

1. Am I allowed to ask, please why this feature has been removed?

2. I'd like to briefly outline why the hard drive expansion, and associated menu options, was so vaulable to me. If you import pics into Lightroom, I don't think you can get Lightroom to only import images of a particular star rating, e.g., 5 star images only. So, it was previously good to be able to (in PM):
- right click where you were in the folder tree in the navigator, select, "create new folder inside this folder"
- create a new folder for just the star rating you wanted to separate out
- drag only the images having the desired star rating into their own new separate folder
- then ask LR to import all the images from that new folder.

It seems that I now have to do most of the above in the operating system, and can no longer do it in the Navigator in the latest version of PM? I know I could create new folders in the OS and then use PM's copy / move command, but this is not as elegant in my humble opinion. Pending the fact that I haven't found the explanatory notes about this loss (sorry), I find the feature loss to be a massive dissapointment.

If someone could please shed more light on this I would be grateful, and perhaps a little less upset than I am currently.

Thanks

Sincerely

Des
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 04:55:54 PM by disci »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 07:20:30 PM »
Des,

I don't know where else to write this, so hopefully here is ok for the time being? I'm the same as PhotogJC1 - I lament the apparent loss of being able to expand the contents of hard drives in the navigator. I apologise I can't find where explanatory details have been given about this feature loss.

1. Am I allowed to ask, please why this feature has been removed?

It surely wasn't intentional.  It is a bug.

2. I'd like to briefly outline why the hard drive expansion, and associated menu options, was so vaulable to me. If you import pics into Lightroom, I don't think you can get Lightroom to only import images of a particular star rating, e.g., 5 star images only. So, it was previously good to be able to (in PM):
- right click where you were in the folder tree in the navigator, select, "create new folder inside this folder"
- create a new folder for just the star rating you wanted to separate out
- drag only the images having the desired star rating into their own new separate folder
- then ask LR to import all the images from that new folder.

It seems that I now have to do most of the above in the operating system, and can no longer do it in the Navigator in the latest version of PM? I know I could create new folders in the OS and then use PM's copy / move command, but this is not as elegant in my humble opinion. Pending the fact that I haven't found the explanatory notes about this loss (sorry), I find the feature loss to be a massive dissapointment.

If someone could please shed more light on this I would be grateful, and perhaps a little less upset than I am currently.

Our next build will have the functionality restored.  This bug only affects Windows Vista users.

You can go back to build 13645.  Download build 13645 here:

http://camerabits.fileburst.com/PM5SetupR13645.exe

Install it and you should be good to go.

-Kirk

Offline disci

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Website
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 07:43:41 PM »
Kirk thanks for clarifying that it's just a bug and not intended. That's obviously a huge relief :) Vista huh..... :)

Regards

Des