Author Topic: Files not deleting  (Read 7159 times)

Offline MarkBennett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Files not deleting
« on: February 22, 2013, 02:59:42 PM »
Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 13764 (7b2b451) on Intel Mac running Mac OS 10.7.5

Since updating the app, today, pressing command-delete on a selected group of files prompts a dialog box asking me if I want to delete the files, which I confirm I do, and the files sorta seemta go away. But not.

The screen shot shows what I see, at first. When I (didn't) delete a group of these files, when they had gone blank as in the screen shot, I again did what I did to create those unwanted, low-rez JPEGs, which was to use the command-s command and create them again with a slightly larger size, but keeping the same appendage to the original, full-rez, file name. The result was a second set of JPEGs with a "1" appended to the previously appended "elz" (for extra low resolution). Even though the blocks in PM appeared to be empty (see screen shot), the files were apparently still there and caused the second round of creation to be added with the "1" (as would be expected if the files were, indeed, still there).

To create this topic note, I went back to PM where I still saw the original elz files, but since I had restricted the view of the files in that folder to only those that were tagged, I changed that drop-down to allow all the files to be viewed. Well, shucks, the offending elz files now appear to be gone.

So, I don't know what is going on, whether PM or OS or other, but it's new with the latest build. (The other, recent, builds left me wanting to write due to unusually long pauses when returning to PM from other apps, beach ball and all, for maybe thirty seconds before PM would respond, plus other pauses at other times. I'm not feeling those pauses now, so perhaps this was addressed, if it existed as a problem?)

Thanks,
Mark

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Files not deleting
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 03:56:46 PM »
Mark,

Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 13764 (7b2b451) on Intel Mac running Mac OS 10.7.5

Since updating the app, today, pressing command-delete on a selected group of files prompts a dialog box asking me if I want to delete the files, which I confirm I do, and the files sorta seemta go away. But not.

The screen shot shows what I see, at first. When I (didn't) delete a group of these files, when they had gone blank as in the screen shot, I again did what I did to create those unwanted, low-rez JPEGs, which was to use the command-s command and create them again with a slightly larger size, but keeping the same appendage to the original, full-rez, file name. The result was a second set of JPEGs with a "1" appended to the previously appended "elz" (for extra low resolution). Even though the blocks in PM appeared to be empty (see screen shot), the files were apparently still there and caused the second round of creation to be added with the "1" (as would be expected if the files were, indeed, still there).

To create this topic note, I went back to PM where I still saw the original elz files, but since I had restricted the view of the files in that folder to only those that were tagged, I changed that drop-down to allow all the files to be viewed. Well, shucks, the offending elz files now appear to be gone.

So, I don't know what is going on, whether PM or OS or other, but it's new with the latest build. (The other, recent, builds left me wanting to write due to unusually long pauses when returning to PM from other apps, beach ball and all, for maybe thirty seconds before PM would respond, plus other pauses at other times. I'm not feeling those pauses now, so perhaps this was addressed, if it existed as a problem?)

We made no changes to how files are deleted in build 13674.  Has something else on your system changed?  Is your disk getting full?
Do you have PM set to move deleted files to the Trash or are you having PM delete them outright?
What happens if you select those files in the Finder and do your delete from there?

-Kirk

Offline MarkBennett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 04:05:05 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Well, here's an odd thing. After I reported that the elz files were gone, I actually still saw them in the Finder, but they were not appearing in PM. I quit PM and have relaunched it, and now, again, the files are appearing.

PM is set to put files in the trash (no change on my end regarding that), and the files I deal with are usually on our server, and usually through an xSAN connection. The result of either Ethernet to some files or xSAN to others is, the files are deleted immediately when trashed.

As with my experience earlier today, deleting them via the Finder does delete them, and that fact is reflected immediately within PM.

Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 04:13:43 PM »
Mark,

Well, here's an odd thing. After I reported that the elz files were gone, I actually still saw them in the Finder, but they were not appearing in PM. I quit PM and have relaunched it, and now, again, the files are appearing.

PM is set to put files in the trash (no change on my end regarding that), and the files I deal with are usually on our server, and usually through an xSAN connection. The result of either Ethernet to some files or xSAN to others is, the files are deleted immediately when trashed.

As with my experience earlier today, deleting them via the Finder does delete them, and that fact is reflected immediately within PM.

Now that you have restarted PM, are you still experiencing the problem?

-Kirk

Offline MarkBennett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 04:23:32 PM »
Kirk,

Yes, the same problem, though with this twist (which I had failed to remember or mention earlier): the thumbnails don't necessarily, automatically, become blank — but when I move my cursor over the thumbnail cell of a file that should be gone, then the thumbnail blanks out. Three screen shots attached illustrating the affect of my moving over one cell at a time showing, too, that this can happen discontiguously.

(I created a new set of ultra-low resolution files just for this exercise, the "ulv" set.)

Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 04:29:04 PM »
Mark,

Yes, the same problem, though with this twist (which I had failed to remember or mention earlier): the thumbnails don't necessarily, automatically, become blank — but when I move my cursor over the thumbnail cell of a file that should be gone, then the thumbnail blanks out. Three screen shots attached illustrating the affect of my moving over one cell at a time showing, too, that this can happen discontiguously.

(I created a new set of ultra-low resolution files just for this exercise, the "ulv" set.)

What happens if you force PM 5 to rescan the folder (use the Rescan command on the View menu) ?  Do the thumbnails disappear then?

-Kirk

Offline MarkBennett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 04:30:58 PM »
Kirk,

While you're mulling, I've poked some more.

As before, cycling the view from Tagged to All results in the thumbnails no longer appearing in the PM view of the folder's contents. However, in the Finder the files still exist, and that appearance is with a twist — only a few of the files have an associated file type displayed in list view (screenshot attached — the ulz files are the 20-22 KB ones, the Red, selected, file is the smallest of the non-ulz files).

The files still open into Photoshop, and performing a "Get Info…" on the file, in the Finder, still shows Adobe Photoshop JPEG file as the type, but the Finder list is screwy. I mention this in case there's anything useful in this symptom.

Mark

Offline MarkBennett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 04:34:09 PM »
Kirk,

Invoking a Refresh did not cause the thumbnails to appear, as far as I could tell. So, I opened another folder in PM, closed the one we've been discussing, and opening that one again. Voilá! The unwanted files remain!

Mark

Offline MarkBennett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 04:55:44 PM »
Kirk,

I then tried deleting the files again, which led to the "Are you sure…" dialog box, but after they should have been deleted, the thumbnails remained and did not blank out when mousing over them. Since those files were still selected, I again invoked the Delete command (command-delete), got the same dialog box, but this time the thumbnails did blank out, leaving empty cells behind. Closing the window and opening the window again revealed the unwanted files.

In that reopened window I command-deleted (actually, I pulled down the File menu to that effect), got the dialog box, and ended up with thumbnails that blanked when I moused over them.

In both cases above, switching from All to Tagged caused the blank cells to disappear and not reappear when All was again the selected, um, filter I guess. (Earlier attempts might have started in the Tagged state, so it doesn't seem to matter which way they go.)

Close the window, open the window, select the ulz files and untag them. Command-delete leaves them in place and non-blanking. A second command-delete of the still-selected files yields nothing — no dialog box. However, the thumbnails now blank out.

That's it for me today. I'm headed home, but feel free to solve all my troubles while I'm gone.

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 03:36:19 PM »
Mark,

I then tried deleting the files again, which led to the "Are you sure…" dialog box, but after they should have been deleted, the thumbnails remained and did not blank out when mousing over them. Since those files were still selected, I again invoked the Delete command (command-delete), got the same dialog box, but this time the thumbnails did blank out, leaving empty cells behind. Closing the window and opening the window again revealed the unwanted files.

In that reopened window I command-deleted (actually, I pulled down the File menu to that effect), got the dialog box, and ended up with thumbnails that blanked when I moused over them.

In both cases above, switching from All to Tagged caused the blank cells to disappear and not reappear when All was again the selected, um, filter I guess. (Earlier attempts might have started in the Tagged state, so it doesn't seem to matter which way they go.)

Close the window, open the window, select the ulz files and untag them. Command-delete leaves them in place and non-blanking. A second command-delete of the still-selected files yields nothing — no dialog box. However, the thumbnails now blank out.

Can you try one more test for me?  Change your delete preferences to delete the files immediately instead of moving them to the trash.  Then test on your NAS drive.  Do the pictures actually get deleted?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline MarkBennett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 03:25:34 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Sorry for the extreme delay — busy, then out of town for a trade show.

Anyway, I am not, now, experiencing the problems I had before so I'm assuming there was just something flaky going on with my computer at that time. If I have more/new problems, I'll know where to go (to you/CB), but for now I seem to be good to go.

Thanks for your help.

Mark