Author Topic: Photo Editor for PM  (Read 6377 times)

Offline myotis

• View Profile
Photo Editor for PM
« on: February 25, 2013, 04:31:35 AM »
Arguably, not really a PM question, but the expertise will be here.

I am looking for an editor specifically to use with PM, something quick that will let me quickly tweak a few photos and export as jpegs.

If I use Lightroom as a default editor it seems to require me to import the photos, but most of the time the photos are already in Lightroom, and it's all a bit slow.

I have seen ACR set up as an editor, which looks ideal, but it looks as if you can only use ACR if you have PhotoShop. Not if you are using ACR as part of Lightroom.

I am on a Mac, and wondered if any one had any suggestions.

Many thanks,

Graham

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
Re: Photo Editor for PM
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 06:10:09 AM »
Hi,
I'm not sure to understand what you mean, but you have iPhoto on your Mac, which can handle any kind of files.
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 06:30:54 AM »
Arguably, not really a PM question, but the expertise will be here.

I am looking for an editor specifically to use with PM, something quick that will let me quickly tweak a few photos and export as jpegs.

If I use Lightroom as a default editor it seems to require me to import the photos, but most of the time the photos are already in Lightroom, and it's all a bit slow.

I have seen ACR set up as an editor, which looks ideal, but it looks as if you can only use ACR if you have PhotoShop. Not if you are using ACR as part of Lightroom.

I am on a Mac, and wondered if any one had any suggestions.

Photoshop Elements 11 includes the ACR plug-in.  PSE11 sells for less than $100.00.

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 07:16:14 AM »
Thank you both, I might go down the Elements route.

IPhoto when I last used it seemed to need me to import the images just as Lightroom did, of course it could be that  I don't know how to use it.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 07:59:56 AM »
Hi,

No, that is not necessary. You can organize how digital cards or digital cameras are treated when connected.
I do as follows:

If a card or a camera is connected to the mac, PM starts and I ingest the photos to a specified folder, I sort them, I rate them, I rename them and I delete what is necessary in PM. The whole basic organisation is by that done in PM.
RAWs are processed within CaptureOne or ACR of Photoshop, both apps do not require an import of files to a database.
This is the same to iPhoto or Lightroom, you just have to configure, that the files are saved in the original place. Maybe you didn't spent enough time with the manuals (which I consider to be a basic "work" when dealing with any kind of software) ...
If you use Photoshop Elements, that app won't bother you with import questions, it just opens the raws in ACR, jpeg and tiff in itself.
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 08:56:49 AM »
Hello Platti,

I have spent hours/days with the manuals, as well as watching lots of training videos, but happy  to accept that this obviously still isn't enough time.

I do as you do to ingest photos, but I then import them into a lightroom catalogue, well not the files, but the info on where the files are etc. files/copies etc are then saved back to the original directory.  I didn't think there was any other way of doing it, so I am assuming that when Lightroom asks about importing the files, it really means adding to the catalogue. But as they are already in the catalogue, I don't want I add them again.

But I will have a look at this again, my initial look can't find any configuration to save in original place, for either lightroom or iPhoto. But this is now obviously not a PM question, and...

I have now tried ACR, and as you say, it isn't  a problem with ACR.

Thanks for your help.

Graham

Offline hillrg

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 11:26:14 AM »
Hi,

RAWs are processed within CaptureOne or ACR of Photoshop, both apps do not require an import of files to a database.
This is the same to iPhoto or Lightroom, you just have to configure, that the files are saved in the original place. Maybe you didn't spent enough time with the manuals (which I consider to be a basic "work" when dealing with any kind of software) ...
If you use Photoshop Elements, that app won't bother you with import questions, it just opens the raws in ACR, jpeg and tiff in itself.

I'd like to see where in the Lightroom manual it explains how to edit an image without importing it first...  cannot be done.  All images have to be added to the LR catalog first.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 11:36:36 AM »

I'd like to see where in the Lightroom manual it explains how to edit an image without importing it first...  cannot be done.  All images have to be added to the LR catalog first.

I think the distinction being made is that while the images have to be imported (scanned for metadata and previews), one can now reference images in their current location rather than copying/moving them into Lightroom's disk structure.

-Kirk

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 01:42:23 AM »
If you only need to edit a few files , Lightroom only import these files and that should not take very long.
You can set up as many editors as you want in PM prefs.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 04:25:15 AM »
Hi,
If you are a Canon user you might as well use DPP as the editor.
I do that frequently when it is the case of minor adjustments.
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi