Author Topic: Server connection  (Read 3807 times)

Offline BrendanRead

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Server connection
« on: February 24, 2013, 04:08:56 PM »
Hi there,
I use PM with a Mac 2 x 2.93 Ghz Quad Cores...I have used it for years and love it...I now have a server connected [via Cat 6 Ethernet cable]  and it results in poor response times using PM. Once the images or folders have loaded then it is all ok. It is the long wait for the files to load that is my issue. It can take 1-2 mins! It even happens every time I go to another app and return to PM. I have to wait for it to 'connect' again...Other software such as Bridge, Photoshop etc dont take quite as long. Could you please suggest some options that might help, I love PM but this is really slowing down my productivity... I often have several hundred or even over a thousand files on a folder but that shouldn't worry good old PM right?
Kind regards,
Brendan Read

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Server connection
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 04:25:34 PM »
Please see this post and answer as many questions as you can: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4688.0

-Kirk

Offline pxlar8

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 07:08:40 PM »
I seem to be having a similar issue with the latest build: Mac Version 5.0, build 13764 (7b2b451) on Mac OSX 10.8.2. In my case it's when connecting to a shared network drive. I'd been connecting to the same drive with the previous build but had not had any trouble.

It does eventually load the contact sheet, but it's taking a few minutes to do so. I've also tested opening the same folder with v.4.6.9 and it loads in a second or so with that.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 05:25:43 PM »
I seem to be having a similar issue with the latest build: Mac Version 5.0, build 13764 (7b2b451) on Mac OSX 10.8.2. In my case it's when connecting to a shared network drive. I'd been connecting to the same drive with the previous build but had not had any trouble.

It does eventually load the contact sheet, but it's taking a few minutes to do so. I've also tested opening the same folder with v.4.6.9 and it loads in a second or so with that.

Interesting.  Well, nothing was changed in regards to how Photo Mechanic 5 on the Mac accesses files or directories in the 13674 build.

If you unmount the drive and then remount it and try browsing the same folder with PM 4.6.9 is it fast?  From the way you described your test it may have been that most of the disk data was cached locally by the time you tested PM 4.6.9.

-Kirk