Author Topic: Image file size when emailing from PM  (Read 4437 times)

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
Image file size when emailing from PM
« on: February 28, 2013, 12:41:44 AM »
PM 4.6.9 - Mac OS X 10.8.2

I'm using Photo Mechanic to email photos. I have an example file which is an 862 KB, 3008 x 2008 px JPEG. In PM's "Send photos by email" window under "Image Settings" I'm selecting "Full Size (don't resize dimensions)" and assuming that PM will send it something in the region of its original file size.

Obviously I don't want to further compress this small file but if I leave the JPEG Quality at High I seem to have a 3.26 MB file. With Sub Sample Chroma ticked that drops to 2.21 MB, still a lot larger than the original 862 KB.

Obviously I can fiddle with the JPEG Quality and get the file back to around 800 KB to 1 MB, but why can't I just send it in its original 862 KB size and not have to re-compress it?

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Image file size when emailing from PM
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 07:01:35 AM »
PM 4.6.9 - Mac OS X 10.8.2

I'm using Photo Mechanic to email photos. I have an example file which is an 862 KB, 3008 x 2008 px JPEG. In PM's "Send photos by email" window under "Image Settings" I'm selecting "Full Size (don't resize dimensions)" and assuming that PM will send it something in the region of its original file size.

Obviously I don't want to further compress this small file but if I leave the JPEG Quality at High I seem to have a 3.26 MB file. With Sub Sample Chroma ticked that drops to 2.21 MB, still a lot larger than the original 862 KB.

Obviously I can fiddle with the JPEG Quality and get the file back to around 800 KB to 1 MB, but why can't I just send it in its original 862 KB size and not have to re-compress it?

You need to make sure that you're not doing anything to the image that would force it to need any sort of manipulation and recompression.

Here are the rules (from the source code)

Set the quality slider to 100 (all the way to the right)
Turn off Subsample Chroma
Turn off Limit file size to: (only on PM 5+)
The size choice needs to be "Full size (don't resize dimensions)"
Turn off Convert to sRGB
Turn off Apply crop
Turn off Sharpen
Turn off Watermarking
If the image is a RAW+JPEG pair then you have to set the Source for RAW+JPEG to "Use the JPEG"If the image is soft-rotated there is nothing you can do, the image will have to be recompressed because it will have to be hard rotated for emailing.
If the image is not already a JPEG it will have to be made into a JPEG for emailing.

That should do it.

If you're still having trouble, please post a screen shot of your Send Photos via email dialog and upload the image file that is still getting recompressed.  Please note also that we're no longer updating PM 4.6.x and earlier applications so if there is a fix to be made, it will only be made in PM 5.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 07:54:32 AM »
If the image is soft-rotated there is nothing you can do, the image will have to be recompressed because it will have to be hard rotated for emailing.

Can I just ask for a definition of "soft rotated" before I check everything else. The images are being rotated in camera. Uprights open in the correct orientation everywhere straight out of the camera. Are they soft or hard!

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 08:32:09 AM »
If the image is soft-rotated there is nothing you can do, the image will have to be recompressed because it will have to be hard rotated for emailing.

Can I just ask for a definition of "soft rotated" before I check everything else. The images are being rotated in camera. Uprights open in the correct orientation everywhere straight out of the camera. Are they soft or hard!

They would be soft-rotated.  You can hard rotate them losslessly from the Tools menu's "Apply Rotation to JPEGs" command.

-Kirk

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 04:22:24 PM »
Greetings Kirk,

Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 13217 (68ec133)
OS X 10.8.2

This is related to the conversation thread, so I’m placing it here.

I was trying to re-save a 1.7 MB jpeg on my machine, and trying to save it to a size no larger than 1 MB.

In the “Save As” dialog box, under “Image Type” there is an option to
“Limit file size to: XX MB”.

I assumed that even though I had the quality slider above that option set to “High”, the “Limit file size to” option would kick in and the new saved file would be automatically sized to be no larger than 1 MB.
(I’m thinking of performing a batch “Save As” and have all my files set to a target file size of 1 MB or so)

However, the newly saved file turned out to be even larger than the original one, not smaller (3.5 MB).

Other settings I have in the “Save As” box are:
Preserve EXIF
Rename as {transref}
No scaling
Resolution 300 (which is identical to the original file)

So now I wonder how I can batch save jpegs to be no larger than 1 MB?
Thanks,
Nati

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 05:24:54 PM »
Hi, Nati
In order to limit the file size, one has to set the quality to low.
The quality set overrides the file size limitation.
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 08:25:02 PM »
Luiz,
Amazing! It works!
Very happy,
thanks,
n