Author Topic: Star rating and colors not visible in Photo Mechanic 5  (Read 4461 times)

Offline Whistlingmike

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Star rating and colors not visible in Photo Mechanic 5
« on: March 07, 2013, 10:44:56 AM »
I am viewing a folder of jpgs in Photo Mechanic 5 that I know has star ratings as well as color coding, yet nothing is visible. We checked this on another computer with an older version (4.6.6) and both stars and color coding shows right up.  Can you explain if I have some setting wrong or why this may be happening?  Thanks, Michael Lichter, Boulder, CO  www.lichterphoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Star rating and colors not visible in Photo Mechanic 5
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 10:48:19 AM »
I am viewing a folder of jpgs in Photo Mechanic 5 that I know has star ratings as well as color coding, yet nothing is visible. We checked this on another computer with an older version (4.6.6) and both stars and color coding shows right up.  Can you explain if I have some setting wrong or why this may be happening?  Thanks, Michael Lichter, Boulder, CO  www.lichterphoto.com

Could you post a sample image that doesn't show ratings/color classes?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file(s).  If it's a RAW file and has an XMP sidecar file, please post the XMP sidecar file as well.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Whistlingmike

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 10:56:31 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply. Here is a jpg from the folder.  If it was from a folder of Raw + XMP, I wouldn't have expected it to read the XMP's (or does Mechanic do this now?).  I just can't understand why it isn't reading the JPGs

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 11:43:23 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply. Here is a jpg from the folder.  If it was from a folder of Raw + XMP, I wouldn't have expected it to read the XMP's (or does Mechanic do this now?).  I just can't understand why it isn't reading the JPGs

Thanks for the sample.  I'll look into it to see where its rating/color class data is.

Photo Mechanic has been working with XMP data for several years now (more than 5 years), including XMP sidecar files.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 12:07:23 PM »
Mike,

You have embedded XMP data in your image.  It has an unusual xml:Label in it:

xmp:Label="+3*, 4*, 5* = A Edit / Website Stock"

I'd venture a guess that you don't have a color class in PM with the same name as that.

The XMP data has a xmp:Rating of 4:

xmp:Rating="4"

The XMP data has a photomechanic:Prefs value:

photomechanic:Prefs="0:1:0:002145"

Rating=0, Color Class=1, Tag=0, Frame=2145

When I step through the code in PM it comes up with a Rating of 4 and a Color Class of 1.  I have my PM5 IPTC/XMP settings set to Read embedded XMP before IPTC for JPEG, TIFF, PSD, and DNG photos.

I think if you adjust your settings, you should see the same results I get.  For the future, you should make sure that your Color Class label names match in all applications that you use together (I don't know if you already do that.)

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Whistlingmike

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 08:31:02 PM »
Thanks for your help.  That solved the problem.