Author Topic: Restrict number of images that open in Capture One.  (Read 6919 times)

Offline happysnapper

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Restrict number of images that open in Capture One.
« on: March 01, 2013, 03:33:00 AM »
I cull and rate in PM then open images for processing in Capture One via right click edit photo with .....
Currently when I do this ALL the images open in C1 and C1 spends ages creating previews and all sorts of other strange files before allowing me to get on with the important business of editing perhaps only one or two images, and thats only after I manage to locate the right file from perhaps hundreds  I'm presented with.

I know I could move the selected files to a sub folder and open that in C1 but Im sure you geniuses or genii at Camera Bits can find a way of telling C1 to open only the selected files.

Why am I so sure?  Because it can be done in both Adobe Bridge and Breeze Browser. With both these applications highlighting a selection of images will open just that selection in C1. The only drawback is that it wont work with a single file it must be 2 or more, but hey that's not difficult to live with.

This feature has become even more important because the 3 releases so far of Capture One V.7 will not synchronise  rating and colour tags with PM. The earlier V.6 does.

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Re: Restrict number of images that open in Capture One.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 04:56:13 AM »
Hi!

I am also a Capture One user with version 6.

As C1 cannot open single files this is nothing CB can change.
Try to open a single file in C1 by yourself: The option does not exist.

The way you mentioned as a workaround is probably the best.

hth
Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 05:36:05 AM »
I just downloaded v.7.1 and there is a bit strange behavior.
If I select fx 10 files from a folder and select "Open selected files with" Capture One, it only opens the 10 selected files.
If I then select more files to edit in C1 it begins the importing of previews etc for the whole folder.
So I can do it once or twice, but not all the time. There is probably a limit somewhere, maybe I should ask Phaseone.

best
Steffen

Offline happysnapper

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 06:09:20 AM »
Hi Sven, thanks for your response.

With due respect you are right and wrong. C1 as you say will not open a single file, I did acknowledge this in my first post, but C1 will open a selection of more than one. Chances are Phase One don't know it can be done, lets hope they don't find out and find a way of stopping it. ;)

I have attached a screen grab to prove my point.

1. I opened folder C:\Test in BreezeBrowser and selected 2 files, a CR2 raw file and a Tif.
2. I right click on the selected images and select C1 which has been set up in BB as preferred editor.
3. Only those 2 files now appear in C1 and these can be edited and processed as normal.

Ah! I've only just realised C1 is creating a new untitled album every time I do this.

Anyway, C1 may not have planned it this way but BreezeBrowser and Bridge seem to have found a way of making the unselected files invisible to C1. Other browsers I've tried can't do this.

You may not have BreezeBrowser but I bet you have access to Bridge. Try it yourself.  Also works with C1 v.7

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 06:16:05 AM »
You may not have BreezeBrowser but I bet you have access to Bridge. Try it yourself.  Also works with C1 v.7

True for BreezeBrowser as I am on a Mac :)
Bridge I am not using.

My workflow is: see images in PM, delete the unwanted and then work them through in C1 or any other App.

Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline happysnapper

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 06:58:07 AM »
Sven - Imagine you've just shot a gig, perhaps 500 images and you have to supply perhaps 2 or 3 images to an agency urgently. Using my preferred method I'd just select the couple of images right click edit C1, tweek images click process go back to PM keyword then FTP .... job done. No deleting, no new folders, no drag and drop, no rating, no colour tagging. Unfortunately as things stand I can't do that using PM. Once the heat is off you go back cull and rate and create folders if you want.

Can I ask you a question as you're a mac user? I see you say you use C1 v.6 so I assume PM rating and colour tags show up OK (they do for me)  Have you tried C1 v.7 and if so do the PM rating and colour tags still show in v.7?  I've tried everything without success.

Offline happysnapper

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 07:23:41 AM »
Thanks for response Steffen.

If I use C1 v.6 as preferred PM edit application selecting a few files opens all that folders images in  C1 v.6

If I use C1 v.7.1 as preferred edit application selecting a few files opens the attached message and C1 v.7.1 wants me to jump through hoops non of which seem to be the right one.

Can I ask you the same question as Sven as you now have C1 v.7.1, do colour tags and rating stars applied in PM show in C1?

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 08:31:36 AM »
Can I ask you the same question as Sven as you now have C1 v.7.1, do colour tags and rating stars applied in PM show in C1?
Ratings do show in C1 v.7.1, color ratings no, and of course both are gone when files are edited and saved in C1  >:(

Offline happysnapper

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 12:06:33 PM »
Ratings do show in C1 v.7.1, color ratings no, and of course both are gone when files are edited and saved in C1  >:(

See att. file. Tick include Rating and Color Tag

Back to my question. You say your PM star ratings show in C1 v.7.1. Is this only when you first open C1? If you have both applications open and change a rating in PM does it change in C1 on the fly, in real time?  I suspect not unless you are on a Mac and the Mac version works differently to windows version.

Cheers Graham

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 11:00:59 AM »
Thanks for the tip  ;D

It does show the changing of star rating on the fly in v7.1, both ways, but I made a mistake, it does not show any color rating. My prefs are set to use 1-5 for star rating and cmd + 1 etc.  for color rating.

When applying color rating in C1 using + or - red or green shows in PM
Best
Stef

Offline Franz Dur

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 05:58:44 AM »

Anyway, C1 may not have planned it this way but BreezeBrowser and Bridge seem to have found a way of making the unselected files invisible to C1. Other browsers I've tried can't do this.

The WIn7 file browser acts in the same way: selecting 2 raw and dragging them to C1v6 opens only these two files. Dragging just one raw opens the whole folder, which is a nuisance and a waste of HD space, and why I use C1 only rarely when I am not happy with the colors I get from ASP (Corel).

Francis

Offline happysnapper

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 07:14:08 PM »
Thank you Francis for revealing that drag and dropping a selected number of files from PM to C1v6 works. I now find that this also works with C1v.7.1 but not quite as well.
Dragging an image into C1v6 automatically creates and opens a new numbered album and makes the selected thumbnails visible. On the other hand dragging files into C1v7.1 also creates a new numbered Album but doesn't open the album automatically, instead it presents a blank page with a message like no images selected. What you then have to do in C1v7.1 is click on the newest (highest number) album under the library tag, this will then open and the selected thumbnails will be visible.
So to sumarise dragging a small number of images from PM to C1 will open just those files in C1 but in the new C1v7.1 the album has to be opened manually.
It would still be good if selecting and right clicking and opening files with C1 worked in PM as it does with BreezeBrowser and Bridge as my original post stated.