Author Topic: IPTC Extended: Variables, Defaults and copy Location  (Read 3566 times)

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
    • GG-IMAGES :: Charlotte Wedding Photographer
IPTC Extended: Variables, Defaults and copy Location
« on: March 11, 2013, 07:07:45 AM »
First off I would love to see more variables for IPTC Extended. For instance for the "Location Created" and "Location Shown" fields. The "Location Shown" table's fields and any other table fields might of course be a bit hairy as variables, but maybe there is a possible solution.

Being able to create tables and databases out of these fields can be crucial.

Also it would be great if the legacy Location fields could be copied to the "Location Taken" fields. It can be done with variables, but a button to click on (like the "Copy to 'Location Shown' table" button) would be more elegant.

Lastly I don't find it a good idea for fields in the "Location Shown" table to be filled with the word "Default" whenever a new line is created. I would rather have these fields empty. If the reason is to show that there is a new line, I would prefer to either this line be color marked or for the word "Default" to be shown in gray but NOT to be written into metadata.

Thanks for listening!
Thomas

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC Extended: Variables, Defaults and copy Location
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:40:07 AM »
Thomas,

First off I would love to see more variables for IPTC Extended. For instance for the "Location Created" and "Location Shown" fields. The "Location Shown" table's fields and any other table fields might of course be a bit hairy as variables, but maybe there is a possible solution.

Being able to create tables and databases out of these fields can be crucial.

Agreed.  Since there is no looping construct in variables, what syntax would you suggest for managing tables?

Also it would be great if the legacy Location fields could be copied to the "Location Taken" fields. It can be done with variables, but a button to click on (like the "Copy to 'Location Shown' table" button) would be more elegant.

Sure.  That could be done.

Lastly I don't find it a good idea for fields in the "Location Shown" table to be filled with the word "Default" whenever a new line is created. I would rather have these fields empty. If the reason is to show that there is a new line, I would prefer to either this line be color marked or for the word "Default" to be shown in gray but NOT to be written into metadata.

They're not written to the metadata unless you save the metadata.  Since one has to double-click on the cell to start an edit it is easier if there is an obvious target.  The table does not support any color marking (other than showing a selected row) and gray colors usually indicate that something is disabled and non-editable.

-Kirk

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
    • GG-IMAGES :: Charlotte Wedding Photographer
Re: IPTC Extended: Variables, Defaults and copy Location
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 08:34:16 AM »

Agreed.  Since there is no looping construct in variables, what syntax would you suggest for managing tables?

Yes, that's something I couldn't come up with a good answer either. Automatically export the first 5? The first ten? "all filled" would be the right thing, but that's what you mean by "looping construct" I guess? Which isn't there.

They're not written to the metadata unless you save the metadata.  Since one has to double-click on the cell to start an edit it is easier if there is an obvious target.  The table does not support any color marking (other than showing a selected row) and gray colors usually indicate that something is disabled and non-editable.

-Kirk

I understand what you mean.

This request arose maybe from me not working entirely to spec ;) What I did was fill out the legacy Location or the "Location Taken" fields and then, since everything, City, State etc. was the same, I just filled out "Sublocation" in the "Location Shown" table. It was the only thing different.

This of course left me with "Default" in all the other table fields.
The correct way to do it is probably to always fill all fields. And that's what the "Copy to 'Location Shown' table" button is for ... :)

However, I guess the "World Region" field rarely gets filled out - "ISO Country Code" probably as well. Which again will leave "Default" in some fields. (If a table row was created and content wasn't copied from "Location Taken.)