Author Topic: PM will not launch after installing Build R13764 - MacOS Mountain Lion  (Read 2071 times)

Offline tommygrealy

• View Profile
Macbook Pro running MacOS X 10.8.3

I just downloaded and installed build R13764 replacing the existing R13645 and now PM will not launch.
Here are the steps I took when upgrading to the new build:
- Downloaded the DMG file PhotoMechanic5R13764.dmg from Camerabits website
- Double clicked the DMG file in finder
- dragged Photomechanic 5 icon into "Applications" folder
- Clicked "Replace" when it asked me about replacing the existing Photo Mechanic
- Tried to open PM from Launchpad (was removed from the dock after install of this build)
- I got prompted as usual about PM 5 being "an application downloaded from the internet, are you sure... etc" and hit yes to that.

After that PM doesn't launch. It's icon also disappeared from my dock. I can only see it when I open the launchpad.  I rebooted my machine and again tried to launch it and nothing happens. I cannot launch it from the finder either.

I then reinstalled the old build (PhotoMechanic5R13645.dmg) as I still had this dmg in my downloads folder.
Upon replacing build 13764 with the previous build - 13645, Photomechanic will now launch.

But I do want to be able to upgrade to build R13764 as I really want one of the features I see in the release notes.

Anyone else see this issue?

Thanks
-Tommy

I

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Tommy,

We have not heard of that issue.  I suggest removing the old one (put it in the Trash) and then copy in the new one so that there is no 'replacing option' when you copy it in.

If it continues to fail, I'd like to see any pertinent messages you have in your system.log and console.log files which can be viewed by the Console application which resides in your Applications/Utilities folder.

-Kirk

Offline tommygrealy

• View Profile
Thanks for the super-fast response Kirk!

I tried removing the old version from the applications folder (move to trash) and then re-installed the new version. Same issue again. Being relatively new to the Mac world, I wasnt aware of this console log application so thanks for that info.
I opened console.log and it shows this error

18/03/2013 19:05:24.000 kernel[0]: exec of /Applications/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/MacOS/Photo Mechanic 5 denied since it was quarantined by Google\x20Chrome and created without user consent, qtn-flags was 0x00000007

Why google chrome apparently has the ability/permission to quarantine applications is totally beyond me!!

Thanks
-Tommy

Offline tommygrealy

• View Profile
Update:

after last post, I tried re-downloading the DMG file from http://www.camerabits.com/cgi-bin/download_pm.cgi?plat=mac
Previously, I had been trying to install this latest PM build from a DMG file I downloaded on March 3rd (I downloaded it at that time but never got around to installing it as I was shooting an event and I dont like doing upgrades the same day Im shooting).

Now with the re-downloaded version of the DMG file, PM installed as usual and now it opens fine.

Not sure what has changed since the file I downloaded on March 3rd. Does MacOS not like when you install apps 2 weeks after having downloaded them? The DMG file itself is identical to the one I downloaded on March 3rd (exact same size in bytes anyway).

Thanks for your help.
-Tommy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Tommy,

after last post, I tried re-downloading the DMG file from http://www.camerabits.com/cgi-bin/download_pm.cgi?plat=mac
Previously, I had been trying to install this latest PM build from a DMG file I downloaded on March 3rd (I downloaded it at that time but never got around to installing it as I was shooting an event and I dont like doing upgrades the same day Im shooting).

Now with the re-downloaded version of the DMG file, PM installed as usual and now it opens fine.

Not sure what has changed since the file I downloaded on March 3rd. Does MacOS not like when you install apps 2 weeks after having downloaded them? The DMG file itself is identical to the one I downloaded on March 3rd (exact same size in bytes anyway).

I've never heard of any such restrictions before.

-Kirk