Author Topic: Evaluate Color Rating  (Read 3524 times)

Offline tropophoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Evaluate Color Rating
« on: March 20, 2013, 08:26:19 AM »
Just wanted to let you know that if in an IPTC stationary Image Preferences section you select to evaluate the color class with the corresponding variable,  any none rated image (I guess the zero color class) will evaluate to whatever you have defined as #1 color class.  For me if i have not Color rated them this is an undesirable behavior but once I figured it out I can work around it. Hope this helps somebody out there.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Evaluate Color Rating
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 08:41:20 AM »
Just wanted to let you know that if in an IPTC stationary Image Preferences section you select to evaluate the color class with the corresponding variable,  any none rated image (I guess the zero color class) will evaluate to whatever you have defined as #1 color class.  For me if i have not Color rated them this is an undesirable behavior but once I figured it out I can work around it. Hope this helps somebody out there.

Hmm.  Can I ask why you're doing what you're doing in the first place?  At best (with no inconsistent behavior), what you're doing would produce no change whatsoever to the Color Class, Rating, and Tag of the photos when evaluating {colorclass}, {rating}, and {tag} in their own fields.

-Kirk

Offline tropophoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 09:48:25 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I am kind of a nomad and thus work with limited portable drive space when working outside of my desk. In my workflow, I star rate and tag images right on the card. I know this is not recommended but I do make sure I have enough space on my card to save the XMP sidecars. Once I rate and tag, I delete the untagged ones from the card and only ingest what I really want to keep and have the ratings brought in both on my working copy and my backup. It is my workaround for selective ingest.

On another note. I also tried the evaluate setting to attempt to do some math, for example -1 star of whatever it has now. You now for the times I second guess myself during rating.  Silly me :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 11:22:15 AM »
I am kind of a nomad and thus work with limited portable drive space when working outside of my desk. In my workflow, I star rate and tag images right on the card. I know this is not recommended but I do make sure I have enough space on my card to save the XMP sidecars. Once I rate and tag, I delete the untagged ones from the card and only ingest what I really want to keep and have the ratings brought in both on my working copy and my backup. It is my workaround for selective ingest.

On another note. I also tried the evaluate setting to attempt to do some math, for example -1 star of whatever it has now. You now for the times I second guess myself during rating.  Silly me :)

There are no mathematical operators for variables.  Sorry.

-Kirk

Offline tropophoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 06:27:02 AM »
Kirk,

What was the intended function of the evaluate option for these ratings? I have searched the forums and web but found nothing.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 07:12:05 AM »
What was the intended function of the evaluate option for these ratings? I have searched the forums and web but found nothing.

Anything you would find useful in your workflow that could be powered by evaluating a variable or a code replacement that would map to a tag, color class, or rating.

The Tag item only works with numeric values: 0 or 1
The Rating item only works with numeric values: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5
The Color Class item works with numeric values ( 0 through 8 ) or the current set of Color Class labels as set in the General Preferences section of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.

It is up to your imagination as to how to best use the feature, but here is an example.  Let's say you shoot photos and video and you want to tag the videos only.  If you set up a code replacement file like so:

Code: [Select]
video 1
still 0
audio 0
meta 0
unknown 0

and then you entered:

\{mediatype}\

into the Tag field of the IPTC Stationery Pad (after having set it to 'Evaluate') and applied it to your selected Contact Sheet items, the videos would be tagged and any tags on the rest of the items would be removed.

That's one example, but it is up to you decide how best to use the functionality in your workflow.  We're providing you the tools to be creative in how you automate your workflow.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline tropophoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 11:40:27 PM »
The Color Class item works with numeric values ( 0 through 8 ) or the current set of Color Class labels as set in the General Preferences section of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.

Yes, Kirk, this helped a lot, I reviewed my settings and  for what I am trying to do I just have to uncheck the Synchronize Color Class with IPTC Urgency field box in the Preferences panel.  Since  I had set Urgency set to 1 on the Ingest Stationary Pad, this was the source of the unexpected behavior.

Thanks for your response