Author Topic: Preview window: side by side images at 100 percent are not the same size  (Read 5899 times)

Offline Martin Lamb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I am running OSX 10.8.3 build 12D78 on an Intel based MacBook Pro. This issue seemed to start with Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 13507 (c69a93e) and is still present in build 13857 (4cf31e0).  Build 13444 (c5a5ad3) was OK.

In the Preview Window, when comparing two images side by side, and pressing Z to go to 100% the images are shown at different magnifications. This is seen most clearly by using the same image in each window. The left hand image appears correct; the right hand image looks closer to 50% (although this jumps about erratically if you resize the main Preview window). The info at the top indicates that the images are both at 100%. Pressing Z again fits the images to each window and they show correctly at the same size, but now the info at the top indicates different percentages - even for identical images.
This problem only occurs in the side by side view. The top/bottom comparison view works as expected.

Apologies if this has already been reported - I could not find it.
Screenshot attached.

Thanks

Martin

Martin Lamb

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Martin,

I am running OSX 10.8.3 build 12D78 on an Intel based MacBook Pro. This issue seemed to start with Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 13507 (c69a93e) and is still present in build 13857 (4cf31e0).  Build 13444 (c5a5ad3) was OK.

In the Preview Window, when comparing two images side by side, and pressing Z to go to 100% the images are shown at different magnifications. This is seen most clearly by using the same image in each window. The left hand image appears correct; the right hand image looks closer to 50% (although this jumps about erratically if you resize the main Preview window). The info at the top indicates that the images are both at 100%. Pressing Z again fits the images to each window and they show correctly at the same size, but now the info at the top indicates different percentages - even for identical images.
This problem only occurs in the side by side view. The top/bottom comparison view works as expected.

I am unable to reproduce this problem.  Does this problem always happen for you?  If you quit PM, launch it again and immediately show the same image side by side and then press Z to zoom into 100% view does the problem happen?  Or does this problem happen over time?

What are your Memory Cache settings? (Preferences->Caching)

-Kirk

Offline Martin Lamb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi Kirk,

I am unable to reproduce this problem.  Does this problem always happen for you?

Yes - but see below

If you quit PM, launch it again and immediately show the same image side by side and then press Z to zoom into 100% view does the problem happen?  Or does this problem happen over time?

I still have the problem even after a machine restart. The behaviour however seems to depend on the size of the preview window. At times the images are correctly zoomed at 100%. But changing the size of the preview window by very slowly dragging a corner of the main window causes the right-hand image to jump to a smaller size. Continuing to drag causes the image to jump between these two states. It is very sensitive to small changes in the window size. If I get it right - and don't change the window size then it seems stable - so this is a workaround at present.

I attach a screenshot.  512MB looks a bit small. I have increased it to 1024MB but this does not seem to have changed any thing.

I suspect, Kirk, if you cannot easily reproduce it - and no-one else has reported it then the issue is probably at my end.  I'll investigate a bit further. It's not actually urgent and I have a workaround. Enjoy a well deserved Easter break.

Martin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Martin,

If you quit PM, launch it again and immediately show the same image side by side and then press Z to zoom into 100% view does the problem happen?  Or does this problem happen over time?

I still have the problem even after a machine restart. The behaviour however seems to depend on the size of the preview window. At times the images are correctly zoomed at 100%. But changing the size of the preview window by very slowly dragging a corner of the main window causes the right-hand image to jump to a smaller size. Continuing to drag causes the image to jump between these two states. It is very sensitive to small changes in the window size. If I get it right - and don't change the window size then it seems stable - so this is a workaround at present.

It sounds like PM is running low on memory.  Run the Activity Monitor application (it's in your Applications/Utilities folder) and find Photo Mechanic in the list.  See how much memory it is using when the problem occurs.

I attach a screenshot.  512MB looks a bit small. I have increased it to 1024MB but this does not seem to have changed any thing.

I suspect, Kirk, if you cannot easily reproduce it - and no-one else has reported it then the issue is probably at my end.  I'll investigate a bit further. It's not actually urgent and I have a workaround. Enjoy a well deserved Easter break.[/quote]

The 512MB you have is for your Disk Cache.  The Memory Cache is below, and more is not always better.  Let's leave things alone for now.

I'd like to see if PM has a memory leak issue on your system so see what you can find out from the Activity Monitor and report back when you can.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Martin Lamb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Kirk,

I have had a look at the activity monitor output whilst carrying out various actions in PM. Here is a sequence taken over a period of about 30 minutes. (see below and also attached text file)
The "action taken" shown in the last column of each line is the action performed immediately before recording the memory use data shown in that line.
I resized the windows by dragging the lower right corner around at random for about 30 seconds.
The images were from 4256 x 2832 nef files from a D700 (the embedded jpegs I presume)

PID,  Process Name   User  %cpu Threads Real Mem Kind "Action Taken"

1332    Photo Mechanic 5   mjl   0.8   12   68.0 MB   Intel   open PM
1332    Photo Mechanic 5   mjl   2.9   15   78.6 MB   Intel   double click thumb to open preview (already in H mode)
1332    Photo Mechanic 5   mjl   2.6   15   84.5 MB   Intel   right arrow to select 2nd image
1332    Photo Mechanic 5   mjl   2.2   14   313.6 MB   Intel   press Z to zoom 100%
1332    Photo Mechanic 5   mjl   1.0   12   540.5 MB   Intel   resize preview window for short time
1332    Photo Mechanic 5   mjl   1.1   12   547.4 MB   Intel  do nothing
1332    Photo Mechanic 5   mjl   3.0   14   309.1 MB   Intel   press Z to display complete images
1332    Photo Mechanic 5   mjl   0.9   15   426.2 MB   Intel   resize preview window for about  30s
1332    Photo Mechanic 5   mjl   2.2   14   656.1 MB   Intel   press Z to zoom to 100%
1332    Photo Mechanic 5   mjl   1.1   14   655.7 MB   Intel   resize preview window for about 30s
1332    Photo Mechanic 5   mjl   0.8   14   327.7 MB   Intel   close preview
1332    Photo Mechanic 5   mjl   0.8   14   327.9 MB   Intel   resize contact sheet window
1332    Photo Mechanic 5   mjl   1.1   12   327.8 MB   Intel   double click thumb to open preview (still at 100%)
1332    Photo Mechanic 5   mjl   1.0   12   502.0 MB   Intel   right arrow to select 2nd image
1332    Photo Mechanic 5   mjl   1.3   13   495.8 MB   Intel   resize preview window for about 30s
1332    Photo Mechanic 5   mjl   1.2   12   289.0 MB   Intel   press Z to display complete images
1332    Photo Mechanic 5   mjl   7.9   15   380.7 MB   Intel   resize preview window for about 30s
1332    Photo Mechanic 5   mjl   3.0   14   656.6 MB   Intel   press Z to zoom to 100%
1332    Photo Mechanic 5   mjl   5.0   16   652.6 MB   Intel   resize preview window for about 30s
1332    Photo Mechanic 5   mjl   2.9   14   324.1 MB   Intel   press Z to display complete images
1332    Photo Mechanic 5   mjl   0.8   13   323.4 MB   Intel   close preview

I have no feel for what is normal here. Let me know if there is anything else I can do that might be helpful.

Martin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Martin,

That all looks reasonable.  Memory goes up when you preview but returns to normal afterwards.

I'm going to have to make a logging version for you and have you reproduce the problem and then have you give me the log that is produced.  Are you willing to test for me?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Martin Lamb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi Kirk,

Yes. I would be happy to run the test.

Regards

Martin

Offline bkaiser

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Same problem with me previously under PM5, now also under PM6.
Has there been a solution or is it still not reproducible by staff?
Thanks and regards
Bernhard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Bernhard,

Same problem with me previously under PM5, now also under PM6.
Has there been a solution or is it still not reproducible by staff?

This thread is over six years old.  I have no idea what the resolution to it was.  How about we start over and you explain what problem you're having, post screenshots that illustrate the issue and we'll go from there?

Thanks,

-Kirk