Author Topic: Rating of CR2 files by PM gives Error inside 5d3 when trying multiple exposure.  (Read 1839 times)

Offline bozza

• Newcomer
    • View Profile

Hi there,   many of my friends who work in multiple exposure also looking for fix on this... !   PM is ruining our workflow :( 

When i tag or rate any of my Cr2 files in PM,  PM obviously changes the exif data of the files.  Ive been doing this for months.  Now ive got the 5d3 i want to put some of my CR2 files back into the camera on the card and pick them to double over things that i see when im walking around.  ( please dont say  "just use photoshop! "   its not the same  )   

all im looking for is a way to remove all of the photomechanic exif for tagging and rating so that the 5d3 excepts the cr2 files

Ive tried untagging and unrating but this does not do it !    the 5d3 still shows an error.    i found another thread on fred miranda and another on pd review with the same problems and people confirming that it was PM adding tagging / rating data that does it

also when i shoot new images then take them from the computer back to the 5d3 WITHOUT doing any tagging or rating in PM it works fine so i know thats the problem. 

really not sure what to do?

do i have to find some kind of Cr2 to dng convertor and then convert back to cr2 again hoping that will strip out the tagging / rating data that PM adds ??? 

any help greatly appreciated !

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Hi bozza,

While I don't understand what you're trying to do exactly, and why that involves saving the images back to your camera, but it seems your 5D3 doesn't like your .CR2 files once touched by PhotoMechanic.

Perhaps this will solve your problems:
  • For existing images – use the "Revert Tiff base RAW to original" option from the Tools menu
  • For new images – update your IPTC/XMP preferences and disable "Allow RAW files to be modified" and enable "Always create and/or update XMP sidecar file

I'm quite certain this should fix your problems.

Let us know the results,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl