Author Topic: Requests / Observations from new user  (Read 4767 times)

Offline Giles

  • Newcomer
  • *
  • Posts: 24
    • View Profile
Requests / Observations from new user
« on: November 28, 2006, 06:59:26 AM »
I’ve played with the demo for a very short while before realizing the positive effect it will have on my workflow.  Combine the power of the existing version, the celebrated support, and the potential features of the upcoming 4.5, it was an easy purchase to justify.

As I’m currently figuring out how best to adapt my workflow to Photo Mechanic, a few wishes come to mind.  I’ve spent some time going through the forum, so I don’t think any of these items have been addressed.  If they have, just count my vote for that request.

1.  I’d like to have more custom control with regards to the printable contact sheets.  I’d like to be able to change the fonts, add logos to the header and/or footer and generally have more control with the gutters between the photos.   It might be beneficial to be able to put a text block of sorts next to a given image, allowing me to use a contact sheet as an order form of sorts.

2.  Speaking of contact sheets, I’d like to be able to add a ‘Page x of y’ type footer.  I’ve tried using the following syntax:

Page: {page} of {total}

However, the special {total} (or) {totl} always gives a value of 0.  Am I misusing this variable?

3.  I’ve seen a little discussion on adding some BASIC editing controls.  Although I have no desire to replace my image editors with Photo Mechanic, it could be very helpful if there was a ‘Quick Fix’ type option somewhere.  Possibly in the ‘Save as’ dialogue.  When doing event photography, the overall brightness and quality of the contact sheet or slideshow is improved when certain images could have an auto levels/colours/brightness applied.

4.  When renaming a photo, would it be possible for the existing file name to appear in the renaming field, complete with variables?

5.  I think I’ve seen this one already mentioned:  Logos in watermarks.

6.  When browsing through photos in the preview window, I’d like to see a ‘Picture # of #’ type counter somewhere, if not the title bar itself.  This would be not unlike the ‘Select: 1 of X’ that you have at the bottom of the main contact sheet.

7.  It might also be handy to show your current folder somewhere within the preview folder.

8.  Is it possible to apply IPTC data to photos within subfolders?  Recurs across multiple folders.

9.  I wouldn’t mind seeing different keys for tagging/untagging.  This may well be part of me being too cheap to buy a spanking new system, but I find that when quickly sorting through photos, it sometimes takes another second or two for the tag to register.  By this time, I’ve hit the ‘T’ key a second time and moved on to the next photo inadvertently untagging the previously tagged image.

10.  When moving or copying files, it would save me a little bit of time if a dialogue box popped up containing upwards of 10 possible predefined destinations.  See Irfanview for this ;)

11.  OK, feel free to ignore this one, but while I’m on a roll, here’s a final thought for today.  When FTPing photographs to my server, a time saver would be if a text file of the links could be generated into a text file.  This would allow me to quickly compose an email to my customer that contains direct links to the available images.  Maybe it’s a little lazy, but currently I spend a bit of time cutting and pasting URLs manually to achieve this.  Automation can be a wonderful thing...

12.  I realize this may be more than likely MY system, but I’ve had Photo Mechanic unceremoniously exit and drop to the desktop when I’ve hit the escape key (possibly one times too many).  I’m using Windows XP SP2.  Really, not a big concern since there's never any data loss, however I was wondering if there were any other reported instances of this happening.

I realize some of these requests are either not practical or possibly a little obscure.  I just thought I’d throw them out and see what happens.  Thanks for your consideration and again a most excellent product. 



Offline Kirk Baker

  • Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 21346
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Requests / Observations from new user
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 10:34:16 AM »
I’ve played with the demo for a very short while before realizing the positive effect it will have on my workflow.  Combine the power of the existing version, the celebrated support, and the potential features of the upcoming 4.5, it was an easy purchase to justify.

As I’m currently figuring out how best to adapt my workflow to Photo Mechanic, a few wishes come to mind.  I’ve spent some time going through the forum, so I don’t think any of these items have been addressed.  If they have, just count my vote for that request.

1.  I’d like to have more custom control with regards to the printable contact sheets.  I’d like to be able to change the fonts, add logos to the header and/or footer and generally have more control with the gutters between the photos.   It might be beneficial to be able to put a text block of sorts next to a given image, allowing me to use a contact sheet as an order form of sorts.

We'll likely add more customization here once we have the scripting engine for the HTML exporter worked out.

Quote from: Giles
2.  Speaking of contact sheets, I’d like to be able to add a ‘Page x of y’ type footer.  I’ve tried using the following syntax:

Page: {page} of {total}

However, the special {total} (or) {totl} always gives a value of 0.  Am I misusing this variable?

The {total} variable refers to the total number of photos selected, not the number of pages to be printed.  I would need to have a new variable {numpages} for that purpose.  Thanks to your comment it is obvious that I need to update the {total} variable while printing to be the number of photos currently selected.

Quote from: Giles
3.  I’ve seen a little discussion on adding some BASIC editing controls.  Although I have no desire to replace my image editors with Photo Mechanic, it could be very helpful if there was a ‘Quick Fix’ type option somewhere.  Possibly in the ‘Save as’ dialogue.  When doing event photography, the overall brightness and quality of the contact sheet or slideshow is improved when certain images could have an auto levels/colours/brightness applied.

4.  When renaming a photo, would it be possible for the existing file name to appear in the renaming field, complete with variables?

Which kind of renaming are you doing?  Bulk rename with the Rename Photos dialog or inline renaming on the Contact Sheet?

Quote from: Giles
5.  I think I’ve seen this one already mentioned:  Logos in watermarks.

6.  When browsing through photos in the preview window, I’d like to see a ‘Picture # of #’ type counter somewhere, if not the title bar itself.  This would be not unlike the ‘Select: 1 of X’ that you have at the bottom of the main contact sheet.

7.  It might also be handy to show your current folder somewhere within the preview folder.

Where do you want to see this information?  In the Preview window?  In the Contact Sheet window?

Quote from: Giles
8.  Is it possible to apply IPTC data to photos within subfolders?  Recurs across multiple folders.

IPTC can only be applied in bulk to selected photos.  Photos within subfolders, unless opened into a multi-folder contact sheet would not be able to be selected, thus they could not have IPTC applied to them.

Quote from: Giles
9.  I wouldn’t mind seeing different keys for tagging/untagging.  This may well be part of me being too cheap to buy a spanking new system, but I find that when quickly sorting through photos, it sometimes takes another second or two for the tag to register.  By this time, I’ve hit the ‘T’ key a second time and moved on to the next photo inadvertently untagging the previously tagged image.

Changing the key wouldn't do anything as long as it still toggled.  It sounds like you want to 'set' the tag, not 'toggle' it.  Use the '+' key.

Quote from: Giles
10.  When moving or copying files, it would save me a little bit of time if a dialogue box popped up containing upwards of 10 possible predefined destinations.  See Irfanview for this ;)

11.  OK, feel free to ignore this one, but while I’m on a roll, here’s a final thought for today.  When FTPing photographs to my server, a time saver would be if a text file of the links could be generated into a text file.  This would allow me to quickly compose an email to my customer that contains direct links to the available images.  Maybe it’s a little lazy, but currently I spend a bit of time cutting and pasting URLs manually to achieve this.  Automation can be a wonderful thing...

12.  I realize this may be more than likely MY system, but I’ve had Photo Mechanic unceremoniously exit and drop to the desktop when I’ve hit the escape key (possibly one times too many).  I’m using Windows XP SP2.  Really, not a big concern since there's never any data loss, however I was wondering if there were any other reported instances of this happening.

Where are you pressing escape?  In what window?

Quote from: Giles
I realize some of these requests are either not practical or possibly a little obscure.  I just thought I’d throw them out and see what happens.  Thanks for your consideration and again a most excellent product.

Thanks for the feedback,

-Kirk

Offline Giles

  • Newcomer
  • *
  • Posts: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Requests / Observations from new user
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 11:48:35 AM »
Quote
4.  When renaming a photo, would it be possible for the existing file name to appear in the renaming field, complete with variables?

Which kind of renaming are you doing?  Bulk rename with the Rename Photos dialog or inline renaming on the Contact Sheet?

Either.  Every once in a while I need to rename a single photo at a time.  The idea is that I can edit the existing filename instead of having to type (sometimes a somewhat lengthly string) it in from scratch.



Quote
7.  It might also be handy to show your current folder somewhere within the preview folder.

Where do you want to see this information?  In the Preview window?  In the Contact Sheet window?

The Preview window.  Maybe on the title bar, next to the filename?  This way, at a glance, I'd know how far into a particular folder I'm into.  A Picture # of X might also go here?



Quote
9.  I wouldn’t mind seeing different keys for tagging/untagging.  This may well be part of me being too cheap to buy a spanking new system, but I find that when quickly sorting through photos, it sometimes takes another second or two for the tag to register.  By this time, I’ve hit the ‘T’ key a second time and moved on to the next photo inadvertently untagging the previously tagged image.

Changing the key wouldn't do anything as long as it still toggled.  It sounds like you want to 'set' the tag, not 'toggle' it.  Use the '+' key.

Thanks.  I missed this shortcut key.  Still learning...



Quote
12.  I realize this may be more than likely MY system, but I’ve had Photo Mechanic unceremoniously exit and drop to the desktop when I’ve hit the escape key (possibly one times too many).  I’m using Windows XP SP2.  Really, not a big concern since there's never any data loss, however I was wondering if there were any other reported instances of this happening.

Where are you pressing escape?  In what window?

From the Preview Window.  Twice now, I've hit escape a few times in rapid succession to exit the preview window and I find myself at the desktop.  As I say, if I'm the only one that has experienced this, I'm happy (well, not HAPPY) that it's my system and won't worry about it.

Thanks for your prompt reply.  Any comment on a possible 'Quick Fix' auto adjustment?

Offline Kirk Baker

  • Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 21346
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Requests / Observations from new user
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 02:14:21 PM »
Quote
4.  When renaming a photo, would it be possible for the existing file name to appear in the renaming field, complete with variables?

Which kind of renaming are you doing?  Bulk rename with the Rename Photos dialog or inline renaming on the Contact Sheet?

Either.  Every once in a while I need to rename a single photo at a time.  The idea is that I can edit the existing filename instead of having to type (sometimes a somewhat lengthly string) it in from scratch.

That's what inline rename does: it puts the current filename in the newly available text field.  You just double-click on the filename on the thumbnail and you can then edit the name.

The Rename dialog is for batch operations and showing the first filename of a selection would be likely less than useful.

Quote from: Giles
Quote
7.  It might also be handy to show your current folder somewhere within the preview folder.

Where do you want to see this information?  In the Preview window?  In the Contact Sheet window?

The Preview window.  Maybe on the title bar, next to the filename?  This way, at a glance, I'd know how far into a particular folder I'm into.  A Picture # of X might also go here?

I've thought of adding a status bar at the bottom of the window and things like the full path to the file could go there.


Quote from: Giles
Quote
9.  I wouldn’t mind seeing different keys for tagging/untagging.  This may well be part of me being too cheap to buy a spanking new system, but I find that when quickly sorting through photos, it sometimes takes another second or two for the tag to register.  By this time, I’ve hit the ‘T’ key a second time and moved on to the next photo inadvertently untagging the previously tagged image.

Changing the key wouldn't do anything as long as it still toggled.  It sounds like you want to 'set' the tag, not 'toggle' it.  Use the '+' key.

Thanks.  I missed this shortcut key.  Still learning...

Quote
12.  I realize this may be more than likely MY system, but I’ve had Photo Mechanic unceremoniously exit and drop to the desktop when I’ve hit the escape key (possibly one times too many).  I’m using Windows XP SP2.  Really, not a big concern since there's never any data loss, however I was wondering if there were any other reported instances of this happening.

Where are you pressing escape?  In what window?

From the Preview Window.  Twice now, I've hit escape a few times in rapid succession to exit the preview window and I find myself at the desktop.  As I say, if I'm the only one that has experienced this, I'm happy (well, not HAPPY) that it's my system and won't worry about it.

Thanks for your prompt reply.  Any comment on a possible 'Quick Fix' auto adjustment?

Nothing to mention at this time.  It is something we're considering.

-Kirk

Offline Giles

  • Newcomer
  • *
  • Posts: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Requests / Observations from new user
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 07:00:04 AM »
Quote
That's what inline rename does: it puts the current filename in the newly available text field.  You just double-click on the filename on the thumbnail and you can then edit the name.

Is there any way this can be done in the preview window?

Offline Kirk Baker

  • Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 21346
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Requests / Observations from new user
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 05:34:12 AM »
Quote
That's what inline rename does: it puts the current filename in the newly available text field.  You just double-click on the filename on the thumbnail and you can then edit the name.

Is there any way this can be done in the preview window?

Not currently, but I'll consider adding inline renaming of thumbnails in the Preview window for a future version.

-Kirk