Author Topic: Workspaces!  (Read 5932 times)

Offline devenh

• View Profile
Workspaces!
« on: April 04, 2013, 11:58:37 AM »
I realize that you can export and import all the program settings and configuration in Edit | Preferences, but it would be great to be able to select for a list of user defined configurations from a drop down list under the menu bar.

What would be really handy is if PM could remember the configurations for each directory so that when I changed directories, PM would switch configurations.  One way to implement this would be to place a .pmworkspace file in the directories that would define the configuration.  If the directory didn't have this file, then the default configuration would be used.

Deven

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Re: Workspaces!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 09:52:44 PM »
I like that idea...

Having the option (for example) to save the filters (color or star rating) for a folder / a set of folders individually...

Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 06:12:35 AM »
Deven,

What would be really handy is if PM could remember the configurations for each directory so that when I changed directories, PM would switch configurations.  One way to implement this would be to place a .pmworkspace file in the directories that would define the configuration.  If the directory didn't have this file, then the default configuration would be used.

What is the scope of the preferences that would change on a per-folder basis?  Any of the hundreds of settings in the Preferences dialog?  What about the lists of items in the IPTC dialogs?  Keywords?  Structured Keywords?

Or are you only talking about the thumbsize/sort/reverse/view items in the toolbar and the color class and ratings filters?

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 11:46:18 AM »
Here's what is important to me:

1. Contact Sheet labels
2. IPTC Info and Stationery customizations
3. Sort order
4. Color, Star, and Tag filters
5. Stationery Pad settings (what is saved in the XMP file)
6. Crop settings

1-4 are the major ones for me.  I'd like to hear what others have to say.

Deven

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 07:57:16 PM »
Let me add Code Replacement settings to the list.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 08:05:01 PM »
Deven,

Let me add Code Replacement settings to the list.

You're not asking for much, are you?

We'll consider it, but this request and many others won't be implemented until cataloging is complete.  But let me ask a couple more questions: what happens when you switch from one open contact sheet tab to another and both have their own 'workspace'?  All of these many settings change?

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 09:49:47 PM »
Yup  ;D

I know it may be challenging, but doesn't it make sense that if I switch from a soccer directory to a portrait gallery that my PM configuration (aka workspace) would be quite different and that I'd appreciate PM making that transition as painless as possible?

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 10:24:31 PM »
Deven,

I know it may be challenging, but doesn't it make sense that if I switch from a soccer directory to a portrait gallery that my PM configuration (aka workspace) would be quite different and that I'd appreciate PM making that transition as painless as possible?

I suppose so, but you're the first person to ask for it.

-Kirk