Author Topic: Tiff copy of a Jpeg  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Jeff Thomas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Tiff copy of a Jpeg
« on: April 05, 2013, 07:42:22 AM »
When I "export edit" a Jpeg image from Apple's Aperture into PM5 I get the Jpeg image ok in PM5, but I also get a EXACT COPY of the JPeg image - with a Tiff image. The same thing happens no matter how many JPeg's I "export edit", each JPeg image is copied with an exact copy - with a Tiff image. I've tried different setting's in PM5 Preferences, and I've failed to find a solution within the forum on this. Anyone assist please ? 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Tiff copy of a Jpeg
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 02:13:20 PM »
Jeff,

When I "export edit" a Jpeg image from Apple's Aperture into PM5 I get the Jpeg image ok in PM5, but I also get a EXACT COPY of the JPeg image - with a Tiff image. The same thing happens no matter how many JPeg's I "export edit", each JPeg image is copied with an exact copy - with a Tiff image. I've tried different setting's in PM5 Preferences, and I've failed to find a solution within the forum on this. Anyone assist please ?

I really can't understand what you're saying.  Aperture is creating both a JPEG and a TIFF file before you use PM?  Are you looking for advice on Aperture or is Photo Mechanic somehow creating unwanted files?

-Kirk

Offline Jeff Thomas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 02:38:34 PM »
PhotoMechanic is creating a Tiff image duplicate of a JPeg when exporting into it "from" Aperture. eg after exporting from Aperture that is.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 02:42:45 PM by Jeff Thomas »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 03:05:13 PM »
Jeff,

PhotoMechanic is creating a Tiff image duplicate of a JPeg when exporting into it "from" Aperture. eg after exporting from Aperture that is.

The only function in Photo Mechanic that can create a TIFF of any kind is the Save As function.  Are you using Save As in Photo Mechanic?

-Kirk

Offline Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 02:23:56 AM »
No, not using "save as" in P/M 5 until I've completed all the editing. Before I even upload P/M 5, I use the command (in aperture) "edit with external editor" up pops P/M 5 with the JPeg image I intend to edit, along with a Tiff copy of it.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 08:35:59 AM »
Jeff,

No, not using "save as" in P/M 5 until I've completed all the editing. Before I even upload P/M 5, I use the command (in aperture) "edit with external editor" up pops P/M 5 with the JPeg image I intend to edit, along with a Tiff copy of it.

Let's take PM out of the equation then.  Look at the folder where you have exported the image.  Do two files exist, one being a JPEG and one being a TIFF?  It is extremely likely that Aperture is creating both files.  I guarantee you that PM is not creating either file.

If you can't get Aperture to 'edit with external editor' without launching PM, temporarily delete PM 5 from your system (you can add it back in later) and Aperture should create both files and then fail to launch the missing PM 5.  You should be able then to see both files in the destination folder with the Finder.

I'm very certain that the problem lies with Aperture and not with Photo Mechanic.  Like I said, Photo Mechanic does not spontaneously create TIFF files.

-Kirk

Offline Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 10:19:27 AM »
A complete test was done with Apple's Aperture programmers yesterday, and when using Aperture, but editing into a different programme (not P/M 5), only 1 JPeg image appeared. So it was found that the problem wasn't with Aperture. Thanks for assistance anyway Kirk. I'll keep trying to work out what the problem is. If you can think of anything else that could be causing the JPeg to copy please let me know.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 11:39:31 AM »
Jeff,

A complete test was done with Apple's Aperture programmers yesterday, and when using Aperture, but editing into a different programme (not P/M 5), only 1 JPeg image appeared. So it was found that the problem wasn't with Aperture. Thanks for assistance anyway Kirk. I'll keep trying to work out what the problem is. If you can think of anything else that could be causing the JPeg to copy please let me know.

Did you try my test that I outlined above?  Set Aperture to 'edit externally' with PM 5, but delete it from your system.  Then from Aperture edit externally and see what is created.  Aperture will fail to launch the deleted PM 5 application.  Later reinstall PM 5.

-Kirk