Author Topic: FTP as dialogue takes ages to open  (Read 15414 times)

Offline Joel Goodman

• View Profile
Re: FTP as dialogue takes ages to open
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2013, 10:32:22 AM »
Hi Kirk
I've just carried this out and restarted, with no ill effect.
A single quick test proved successful, but that could be behaviour as before: I'll test it over the coming days and report back.
Thanks very much.

Offline Joel Goodman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 08:18:35 AM »
Hi Kirk,
I'm afraid the problem still exists.
What else would you suggest I try?
Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 08:52:30 AM »
Joel,

I'm afraid the problem still exists.
What else would you suggest I try?

I have no other ideas for you to try at this time.  What kind of internet service do you have?  Do you change providers from time-to-time?

Basically there is something wrong with your DNS servers and the OS is taking a long time to figure out that your DNS servers don't exist anymore.

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 10:13:10 PM »
If the problem is simply DNS server queries taking too long, couldn't all of Joel's FTP bookmarks be switched over to use IP addresses instead of hostnames?

I would assume that most FTP servers aren't changing IPs frequently enough for this to be a problem.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline jwvaughn

• Retired programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 10:33:17 PM »
Some thoughts...

If it is DNS failing perhaps try Google's DNS service https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/ - if this works the question of why DNS is failing is not answered but at least it may be a work-around.

Try rebooting your router to see if that solves the problem - over the years I've had routers cause some strange problems that were fixed with a new router or temporarily by rebooting.

Perhaps already mentioned, from a command prompt enter ipconfig /flushdns - a temporary fix but may help localize the problem.

Good luck in your hunt
Jerry

Offline Joel Goodman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 02:38:57 AM »
Some more detail if it'll help:
I don't get the problem on my computer in my home office (I don't use the same hardware or Internet connection here so there isn't one single factor that can be eliminated).
I do get the problem when mobile, using my laptop. The connection I use under these circumstances is from a wifi-tethered mobile phone. Once the connection between the laptop and the phone is established I am immediately able to browse the internet via Firefox, Email via Thunderbird and carry out other Internet-related functions. The only time (in my use) that I have a problem like this is when I'm ready to file and call on the FTP dialogue in Photomechanic.
I use several FTP accounts. Not knowing how the dialogue works, does it try to resolve the DNS of the last used (and therefore initially configured) connection upon opening the dialogue? If so it could be a specific host that is a problem. Yesterday the problem occurred when I was trying to connect to Photoshelter so I will see if I can find an IP address to use for them - unless anyone here knows one?
Thanks.

Offline jwvaughn

• Retired programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 09:14:55 PM »
With that info now I wonder if your phone provider is throttling or otherwise messing with FTP?  That would explain why HTTP works but FTP is having problems.

Jerry

Offline Joel Goodman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 01:56:48 PM »
The problem only occurs the first time in a session. Thereafter all times I open the FTP as dialogue it pops straight up without delay.
Until the next time I restart and reconnect, and then the cycle begins again.

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2013, 03:41:49 PM »
But it only happens when tethered to your phone? If you are on any other internet connection with the same computer it works fine?
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline jwvaughn

• Retired programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2013, 04:08:50 PM »
The problem only occurs the first time in a session. Thereafter all times I open the FTP as dialogue it pops straight up without delay.
Until the next time I restart and reconnect, and then the cycle begins again.

I don't know much about using phone tethering or the software associated with it but could it be that the phone/software has problems during the initial setup but retains the info and thus does not have problems on later sessions?

You might try something like WS FTP (free) then try to connect via tether and see what is happening during the connection attempt. I suspect that WS FTP may be more verbose than PM...

Jerry

Offline Joel Goodman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 05:18:11 AM »
Yes, I've never had the problem using the laptop on my home wifi, but I don't FTP from my laptop at home so no depth of experience to compare, in fairness.

The phone works as a wifi hotspot and the computer connects to that wifi connection as it would any other wifi connection. The problem is uniquely with the FTP dialogue in PM. So if I open up Firefox or any other application which requires an Internet connection, this works perfectly in every way I use it. However, even after use for a period in this way, opening the FTP dialogue in PM will still take many minutes on first use.

I've tried inputting the IP address for Photoshelter directly in place of ftp.photoshelter.com and will see how that goes for a bit. I don't know if the dialogue reads the last used connection that it'll default to when opened, as part of the process of initialising DNS services - if it does then it might work as a solution, but if it doesn't then I guess it'll make no difference.

Kirk, can you be any more specific about the tasks that run when the FTP dialogue first opens?

Thanks.

Offline jwvaughn

• Retired programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 10:24:10 AM »

The phone works as a wifi hotspot and the computer connects to that wifi connection as it would any other wifi connection. The problem is uniquely with the FTP dialogue in PM. Once the connection between the laptop and the phone is established I am immediately able to browse the internet via Firefox, Email via Thunderbird and carry out other Internet-related functions. The only time (in my use) that I have a problem like this is when I'm ready to file and call on the FTP dialogue in Photomechanic.

Joel,

FTP uses a different protocol and ports than browsers using HTTP or email using POP or SMTP which is why I suggested using WS FTP just to attempt a connection for the first time.  Note that I am not suggesting you do a transfer, just attempt the connection. It will hopefully give you more info about what is doing on during the connection.

It will also help pinpoint if PM if the source or the problem or it is FTP in general. If WS FTP takes a long time to connect the first time, the problem lies outside of PM.  If it connects quickly the first time, then PM is probably the source.

I am suggesting WS FTP only because it is free, any other standalone FTP program would serve.

Jerry

Offline Joel Goodman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 12:26:18 PM »
Thanks Jerry,
That makes sense - I'll set it up and try it.
For info, using IP address has not fixed the problem and it appears to be other connections beyond Photoshelter, so it's FTP in general.
Will update.

Offline Brandon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 12:49:10 PM »
I believe I was able to fix this issue on my home PC by going to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and uncommenting the line for localhost. Just simply remove the hash next to 127.0.0.1 localhost

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#   127.0.0.1       localhost
#   ::1             localhost

should be edited to say:

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
127.0.0.1       localhost
#   ::1             localhost

Might be worth giving this a shot.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 06:33:52 AM »
Joel,

I sent you a personal message with a link to a new build and some instructions for testing.  Please check your personal messages.

Thanks,

-Kirk