Author Topic: 13915 lost NEF crops  (Read 4238 times)

Offline devenh

• View Profile
13915 lost NEF crops
« on: April 08, 2013, 06:20:34 PM »
Kirk,

13915 does not display the PM crops on NEF files (haven't tested any other file types).  13895 does display them properly.  These were for D4 and D800 files.

Also, on my desktop 13895 I had a very unusual problem where the images (all NEF files) on the contact sheet flickered rapidly.  I'd say about half the images on the contact sheet weren't even displayed while the others flickered.  Sort of bizarre.   I could restart PM and it would be fine.  This problem occurred occasionally, so I could not consistently reproduce it.  I have not recently updated any of my graphics drivers.  But it looks like 13915 fixed it since it hasn't happened since I updated, however I didn't notice anything in the 13915 announcement that mentioned this.

Deven

Offline devenh

• View Profile
Re: 13915 lost NEF crops
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 12:39:08 PM »
I just noticed that 13915 will display the crops of older NEF file that were probably created with a PM version older than 13895.  So it looks like 13915 only has a problem with NEF crops created in 13985.

In addition, I looked at one of the NEF files that should have a crop, but is not being displayed in 13915 (but again, does display in 13895), and I ran it through ExifTool and here is a section of the output:

Crop Image Width                : 4992
Crop Image Height               : 3292
Color Class                     : 0 (None)
Tagged                          : No
PM Version                      : PM5
Has Crop                        : True
Crop Angle                      : 0.00
Crop Unit                       : Unknown (3)
Crop Width                      : 7.000000
Crop Height                     : 5.000000

Deven

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 04:21:50 PM »
Deven,

I can't reproduce this problem.  Can you FTP us a sample NEF that has a crop that shows in PM 13895 and does not show in PM 13915?  Then send me a private message with the link.  I'll send you the FTP info.

Also is this a NEF straight from the camera or has it been processed and saved by Capture NX 2?

The XMP you included from ExifTool is only the "photomechanic" namespace and most of the crop info lives in the ACR "crs" namespace.  So a file would be best rather than looking at ExifTool output.

And finally, are you embedding XMP into the NEF file or strictly using XMP sidecar files?  If you are using CNX2 then the typical workflow is to embed XMP (although this doesn't work very well with ACR).

--dennis

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 06:32:25 PM »
Deven,

I've found the problem and it will be fixed in the next build shortly.  Brand new crops drawn with 13895 don't have the "AlreadyApplied" value set to "False" in XMP and this trips up the very complicated logic that we must follow regarding ACR settings (which revolves around this "already applied" concept).  The new build will recognize these "lost" crops and should work fine with recognizing older crops.

--dennis

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 07:57:52 PM »
Okay, thanks for confirming. 

You can ignore the files I just uploaded  :)

Any thoughts on the flickering of images in the contact sheet I described in 895?

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 11:27:13 PM »
Deven,

Any thoughts on the flickering of images in the contact sheet I described in 895?

One other person is reporting a similar problem and I am working with him to try and reproduce the problem.  If you have a specific set of steps to follow that reproduce the problem reliably, please share them with us.

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 08:21:38 AM »
If you have a specific set of steps to follow that reproduce the problem reliably, please share them with us.

Unfortunately, no, as the problem was not consistent, and updating to 915 seems to have solved it.  Only occurred on my desktop (Win 8 Pro 64 bit, Nvidia Quadro 400) with 895.  Did not have the problem on my laptop (895, Win 8 Pro 64 bit, Intel HD Graphics 4000).

Deven