Author Topic: IPTC Upload button  (Read 4877 times)

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
IPTC Upload button
« on: April 11, 2013, 06:18:56 AM »
Kirk,

I have to use the IPTC Classic feature when sending pictures to my agent.

Is there a possibility that the Upload feature included in the larger IPTC info could be included in the Classic layout?

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC Upload button
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 06:28:48 AM »
David,

I have to use the IPTC Classic feature when sending pictures to my agent.

Is there a possibility that the Upload feature included in the larger IPTC info could be included in the Classic layout?

No.  But why do you need to use the Classic version of the IPTC dialogs?  You can customize the IPTC dialogs to have as few fields as the Classic versions if you like.  There is no difference in how the actual IPTC and XMP data is packaged when either style of dialog is used (they both use the same underlying functions to package up the metadata and update the files.)

We will likely be removing the Classic versions of the IPTC dialogs in the next major release of Photo Mechanic anyway.  They're really not needed for anything anymore now that the current IPTC dialogs can be customized by the user.

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 07:06:24 AM »
Kirk,

Thanks for your quick answer.

Unless there are two buttons, one for a customised Classic and a second for the larger customised IPTC, please do not do away with the ability to switch to Classic. I am a contributor to Getty Images who insist on the use of the Classic tagging of images and that does not include any references to my address, email, website, Facebook, Twitter, personalised IPTC usage or copyright terms etc. All of the who, what, where, when, why goes into the description box. I am sure I am not the only person on this forum that contributes to Getty.

However, when I send images to my website, magazines or private customers my images must have everything embedded in them that cannot be included in the Classic layout. If you do away with the Classic alternative it will be absolutely impossible for me to easily submit images. To do so I would have to use Version 5 for customised IPTC and probably version 4.6.9 for Classic IPTC submissions. 

Also, I have experienced problems losing fields during the customisation of the IPTC and I don't think that this has yet been resolved, although I haven't tested the later versions.

I'm using Win 7 64bit.

Here is a recent page of my images so that you can see how they use the IPTC description field 
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/Search/Search.aspx?EventId=166237672&EditorialProduct=Sport
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 07:10:08 AM by judophotos »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 07:47:22 AM »
David,

Unless there are two buttons, one for a customised Classic and a second for the larger customised IPTC, please do not do away with the ability to switch to Classic. I am a contributor to Getty Images who insist on the use of the Classic tagging of images and that does not include any references to my address, email, website, Facebook, Twitter, personalised IPTC usage or copyright terms etc. All of the who, what, where, when, why goes into the description box. I am sure I am not the only person on this forum that contributes to Getty.

However, when I send images to my website, magazines or private customers my images must have everything embedded in them that cannot be included in the Classic layout. If you do away with the Classic alternative it will be absolutely impossible for me to easily submit images. To do so I would have to use Version 5 for customised IPTC and probably version 4.6.9 for Classic IPTC submissions. 

Also, I have experienced problems losing fields during the customisation of the IPTC and I don't think that this has yet been resolved, although I haven't tested the later versions.

I'm using Win 7 64bit.

Here is a recent page of my images so that you can see how they use the IPTC description field 
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/Search/Search.aspx?EventId=166237672&EditorialProduct=Sport

Why can't you use snapshots for the two styles of submissions that you need to make?  Make one for your Getty submissions and one for your other work and switch between them with the snapshots.  You don't have to keep on customizing them each time.

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 08:24:56 AM »
Kirk,

If it came to it I would have to do that but in reality that is a lot of work to do.  Although, in the long term, it would be better than constantly closing v5 and opening v4.6.9.

That is still far from ideal. A two profile approach is much more sensible whereby the completed large customised IPTC can be turned off to create the smaller Classic profile. That way everything can be setup for the larger profile and then reduced with one click to the Classic layout, or any other for that matter.

At my last post on the subject of the disappearing IPTC fields you was going to look into the bug. Have you been able to replicate it?

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 08:58:24 AM »
David,

If it came to it I would have to do that but in reality that is a lot of work to do.  Although, in the long term, it would be better than constantly closing v5 and opening v4.6.9.

That is still far from ideal. A two profile approach is much more sensible whereby the completed large customised IPTC can be turned off to create the smaller Classic profile. That way everything can be setup for the larger profile and then reduced with one click to the Classic layout, or any other for that matter.

What part is a lot of work to do?  The actual customization to create a 'Classic layout' snapshot, or the amount of work required to switch between them?

At my last post on the subject of the disappearing IPTC fields you was going to look into the bug. Have you been able to replicate it?

No.  Whenever there is a bug that we can reproduce, we fix it promptly.

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 10:42:53 AM »
Obviously the introduction of customisable IPTC in version 5 is excellent. To be able to adjust the info for editorial, studio, agencies and all other types of photographers is essential. In my case as an editorial photographer I am unlikely to need release agreements but the fields are available if needed. Once customised  it is not something that will be altered many times.

Therefore I think the initial customisation is likely to be slow, especially in my case with some fields going missing when switching them from column 2 to 1 to make sure that certain fields are in the right column for the IPTC pad. That is so that I don't need to scroll up and down. That way the pre-filled fields are at the bottom in the largest stationery pad and out of sight if it is a large pad. Once the pad is set up I shouldn't need to do it again.

In the case of the pre-configured Classic IPTC, even though the 'location' field is missing, it is just one tick away and I think that is useful except that I have to go back to preferences to switch it.

At the very least I think that pre-configured Classic IPTC pad should be retained.

David