Author Topic: Constant short freezes  (Read 2019 times)

Offline mweb202

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Constant short freezes
« on: April 10, 2013, 07:09:19 AM »
Hello, since installing one of the recent updates (sorry, don't know which one but I am current), I've had frequent short freezes and occasional restart force quit requiring freezes. Pretty much anytime I step away from the program for a few minutes it's frozen when I come back. Also when I am working and try to open another tab it freezes for a minute or so. I have installed the latest update, upped the memory to 1024, and deleted all the caches. I'm on the latest Mac Mountain Lion release.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Constant short freezes
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 07:12:10 AM »
Hello, since installing one of the recent updates (sorry, don't know which one but I am current), I've had frequent short freezes and occasional restart force quit requiring freezes. Pretty much anytime I step away from the program for a few minutes it's frozen when I come back. Also when I am working and try to open another tab it freezes for a minute or so. I have installed the latest update, upped the memory to 1024, and deleted all the caches. I'm on the latest Mac Mountain Lion release.

Making the Memory Cache higher is not necessary, nor is it really all that beneficial.

When you say 'short freezes' are you talking about the kind that show the spinning color wheel mouse cursor?

Where are the images located that you're browsing?  What sort method are you using for your contact sheets?

-Kirk

Offline mweb202

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 07:34:27 AM »
Hi, thanks for your reply.

No spinning wheel. Can move the window but cannot select anything or access menus.

Images are mostly located on an external drive connected by Firewire 800. I figured it might have something to do with the external drives, but it happens well before they've had time to spin down and it didn't happen for the first two months or so I was using the program but has only begun recently. Only changes on computer were any Mac OS updates and upping the RAM from 8 to 16 GB. Short freezes started before the RAM upgrade.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 07:37:18 AM by mweb202 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 07:57:09 AM »
Hi, thanks for your reply.

No spinning wheel. Can move the window but cannot select anything or access menus.

Images are mostly located on an external drive connected by Firewire 800. I figured it might have something to do with the external drives, but it happens well before they've had time to spin down and it didn't happen for the first two months or so I was using the program but has only begun recently. Only changes on computer were any Mac OS updates and upping the RAM from 8 to 16 GB. Short freezes started before the RAM upgrade.

Run the Activity Monitor (it's in your Utilities folder inside your Applications folder) and look for memory usage on your system.  Are you getting a lot of page outs/ins?  Is some other process or processes using a lot of CPU time on your system?

Back in Photo Mechanic, look at the status bar at the bottom of the contact sheet window.  Does it indicate that it is busy sorting during these freezes?

-Kirk