Author Topic: write XMP sidecar on JPGs  (Read 7555 times)

Offline sTcA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
write XMP sidecar on JPGs
« on: April 14, 2013, 11:03:42 AM »
Good morning,

I would like to know how to create/write xmp files from JPGs. Here the situation at the present:
- I ingest RAW applying IPTC, get a sidecar XMP file per each image (as per PM modified preferences)
- Retouch on PS and save as PSD; IPTC are embedded (no more sidecar XMP)
- From PS "save for web" in JPG; IPTC are embedded (no sidecar XMP)

I could use the original XMP from the RAW but it's in a different folder and I should pick them one by one.

I would therefore like to know how to create/write the sidecar XMP of the final JPG images.
Thanks

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
Re: write XMP sidecar on JPGs
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 12:54:13 PM »
Why would you want a sidecar file for a JPG?  Photoshop writes a sidecar file for a RAW image because Adobe chooses not to alter a RAW file so edit information and IPTC needs to be saved somewhere; i.e., the sidecar file.  Edits to JPG are destructive so the saved  file is changed based upon any edits made so there is no need for a sidecar file. IPTC is stored in the JPG.  There is no need for a sidecar file and as far as I know, no apps would read a sidecar file when editing a JPG so there is no use for it.  At least that's how I think it all works.  Maybe I'm missing something and someone can explain to me the use of a sidecar with a JPG.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 01:39:14 PM »
I would like to know how to create/write xmp files from JPGs. Here the situation at the present:
- I ingest RAW applying IPTC, get a sidecar XMP file per each image (as per PM modified preferences)
- Retouch on PS and save as PSD; IPTC are embedded (no more sidecar XMP)
- From PS "save for web" in JPG; IPTC are embedded (no sidecar XMP)

I could use the original XMP from the RAW but it's in a different folder and I should pick them one by one.

I would therefore like to know how to create/write the sidecar XMP of the final JPG images.

JPEGs do not need XMP sidecar files.  XMP is embedded in JPEG files.

-Kirk

Offline riecks

• Beta Testers
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 02:29:47 PM »
sTcA:

Any chance you are using an older version of Photoshop (perhaps version for CS3?). If so, check out this section of the UPDIG site under the Web Designer heading http://www.updig.org/guidelines/ph_metadata.html on how to update and configure CS3 to retain XMP metadata.

Under CS4 and later, the default should retain some basic metadata (like creator and copyright notice) but only as XMP metadata. You can use the pull downs in the Save for Web (and Devices) dialogue to save even more, or no metadata at all.

If you want your images to have both IPTC and XMP, you can use the options to first save out the metadata you want with photoshop, and then configure Photo Mechanic to read in XMP and write back both XMP and IPTC. For details on the difference between these two methods of storage, see http://www.photometadata.org/META-101-metadata-types a site which Camerabits has provided support in the past.

David

Offline sTcA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 12:58:41 AM »
The reason why I need the sidecar XMP is for the developer of my new website, it would be easier for them to extract the info from an XMP file than to extract the infos from the JPG.

Thanks David, I will look into your kind infos (I'm on CS5).

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 04:06:59 AM »
If I were in that position, I would consider using the "text exporter" function to create a custom summary file containing all the info needed.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 06:29:43 AM »
The reason why I need the sidecar XMP is for the developer of my new website, it would be easier for them to extract the info from an XMP file than to extract the infos from the JPG.

Thanks David, I will look into your kind infos (I'm on CS5).

Use ExifTool.  It's free and runs on Mac OS X and Windows:

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Here is how you would use it to generate an XMP file from the XMP data contained within a JPEG file named filename.jpg:

exiftool -xmp -b filename.jpg > outputfile.xmp

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline sTcA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 09:24:06 AM »
great! both Bob and Kirk solutions are working fine! thanks a lot.