Author Topic: Searching sub folders  (Read 7246 times)

Offline mrmaps

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Searching sub folders
« on: December 02, 2006, 07:39:05 AM »
I am trying out PM and so far so good. But I have a question:
I have divided my pictures into folders all under a root.  When opening that directory as a contact sheet, I can not figure out how to search from the root through all the subs.  I would like to be able to find all color coded files or all files with a simple word in them.  From a forum search, it seems that I can't do this.  But I want to be sure.

Thanks !

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Searching sub folders
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 09:00:05 AM »
I am trying out PM and so far so good. But I have a question:
I have divided my pictures into folders all under a root.  When opening that directory as a contact sheet, I can not figure out how to search from the root through all the subs.  I would like to be able to find all color coded files or all files with a simple word in them.  From a forum search, it seems that I can't do this.  But I want to be sure.

You are correct in that Photo Mechanic currently doesn't do this.  Photo Mechanic is primarily a browser and not a cataloger.  We do plan to add this capability in the future.

-Kirk

Offline gajones

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 12:24:52 PM »
I think Kirk is underselling it slightly - if you're using Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger), you can use PM's Search function, accessible from the Edit menu. This is based on the Spotlight search built-in to the operating system. It allows you to search your entire computer using many different IPTC and EXIF attributes (although you can't search for colour classes), and have the results displayed within Photo Mechanic.

Kirk, as a suggestion, it would be useful to be able to restrict this search to one folder (as you can from the spotlight interface).

Gareth.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 12:26:45 PM by gajones »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 06:12:22 PM »
Gareth,

I think Kirk is underselling it slightly - if you're using Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger), you can use PM's Search function, accessible from the Edit menu. This is based on the Spotlight search built-in to the operating system. It allows you to search your entire computer using many different IPTC and EXIF attributes (although you can't search for colour classes), and have the results displayed within Photo Mechanic.

Kirk, as a suggestion, it would be useful to be able to restrict this search to one folder (as you can from the spotlight interface).

Do you mean that you want to only return results that match in a specific path?

-Kirk
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 03:11:44 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline mrmaps

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 10:39:25 AM »
Maybe I have been not clear:
In PM, under the favorites.  I have one folder A and a bunch of sub-folders B-Z. All my pictures are in B-Z under A.  I would like to search for photos with a particular characteristic and have all of the search results displayed in the viewing window.  I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 01:06:58 PM »
Maybe I have been not clear:
In PM, under the favorites.  I have one folder A and a bunch of sub-folders B-Z. All my pictures are in B-Z under A.  I would like to search for photos with a particular characteristic and have all of the search results displayed in the viewing window.  I hope this makes sense.

What you request is currently not possible unless you open folders B through Z manually into a single contact sheet window.  This can be done manually by right-clicking on each sub-folder and choosing "Open in current Contact Sheet" (on Windows this menu item is found on the 'Photo Mechanic' submenu.)

-Kirk

Offline mrmaps

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 03:05:58 PM »
If the search isn't possible, it would be nice if there was a way to select several folders at once using the shift key.  Thanks for the info.

MM

Offline gajones

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 03:41:37 PM »
Gareth,

Do you mean that you want to only return results that match in a specific path?

-Kirk

yes, that's what I mean :)

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 10:51:15 PM »
If the search isn't possible, it would be nice if there was a way to select several folders at once using the shift key.  Thanks for the info.

MM

I would like to be able to this as well.