Author Topic: Canon 6D: lenstype, focusmode, whitebalance variables do not work  (Read 4252 times)

Offline JimmyK

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I am having problem with some EXIF (possibly Maker Note) variables with Canon 6D camera.  I tried both RAW (CR2) and JPEG straight out of the camera.

The following variables returns empty field on Canon 6D.
  lenstype
  focusmode
  whitebalance

The same variables works for 2 other Canon cameras (5D Mark II, 5D Mark III) and 2 Nikon cameras (D600, D7000). 

I also tried generic EXIF reader (Opanda).  I do see fields for lens and white balance under Camera section.  I do not see focus mode; it is probably hidden as some # in MakerNote section.  This is from Opanda, under Camera section
  Entry ; Value ; Tag ; Type
  A434 ; EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM ; A432 ; R
  White Balance ; Auto white balance ; A403 ; S

Is this a known issue with Canon 6D?  Canon 6D is a relative new camera, as it was released in November 2012.  Does PhotoMechanic software need to be updated  to specifically read/interpret this info for new camera models?

Please advise.  Thank you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Canon 6D: lenstype, focusmode, whitebalance variables do not work
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 01:19:10 PM »
Yes, we have to update our software to support newer cameras.  Would you be able to send us some samples, both RAW and JPEG?  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 04:49:28 PM »
Jimmy,

Is this a known issue with Canon 6D?  Canon 6D is a relative new camera, as it was released in November 2012.  Does PhotoMechanic software need to be updated  to specifically read/interpret this info for new camera models?

Are you using PM 5?  Which build number are you running?  We have received your samples and will investigate.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 06:05:40 PM »

Hi,
I have a 6D and it identifies correctly white balance, focus mode and lens type.
See attached photo. (PM latest build)
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline JimmyK

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 10:47:24 PM »
Hi Kirk, I updated to the latest PM5 version.  It is now working. 

Thank you for the support.
Jimmy

Offline JimmyK

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 11:37:43 PM »
Hi Kirk, there are still times when these variables' info is not showing.  Now I understand root cause of the problem.  I do have the latest version installed (v5.0, build 13915)

I shoot RAW from the camera.  I use PM Save As to create JPEG file.  Then I have RAW + JPEG combined view (Ctrl+J) in PM.  In this case, PM will not show (or has blank) info for lenstype, focusmode, whitebalance variables.  Once I un-combine the view, I can see that these variables are available for RAW but not JPEG.

I would think when using combined view, these variables should be read from RAW, so the info is available.  Please consider adding this to enhancements for future release.

Thank you.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 11:45:22 PM »
Check your IPTC/XMP preferences for viewing RAW+JPG. Tell it to use the raw file instead of the jpg. I think this should solve your issue.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:48:20 PM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 04:06:05 AM »
Another way for these info to show up in the jpeg is to use Canon's DPP to convert the raw file into a jpeg (it seems to me most people use either DPP or Adobe Camera Raw for the conversion).
I myself generally use PM's Save As to reduce file size/quality for web or other similar purposes.
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline JimmyK

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 12:57:10 AM »
Hi Hayo, I double checked in the the preferences, I have set:
  When viewing photos in RAW+JPEG mode use the metadata from the: RAW file
But the problem still exists.

Hi Luiz, I also use PM's Save As because it is faster.  Looks like this is one side effect.  Maybe I need to change my flow a bit to keep the JPEG in separate directory.  This problem will be resolved then.  Not sure what are the pros/cons.  I will find out.

I do think that PM should improve this "feature" so that if RAW and JPEG having different entry for any variable: such as "ABC" and "" for same variable, PM should be using "ABC" and not ""

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 08:24:56 AM »
Hi Hayo, I double checked in the the preferences, I have set:
  When viewing photos in RAW+JPEG mode use the metadata from the: RAW file
But the problem still exists.

Hmm, that's odd. Sounds to me as if PM is misbehaving here (don't have any raw+jpg myself so haven't ever seen this behaviour). Kirk, it looks as if we have found a small bug  ;)
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 03:54:17 AM »
Hi,
I always have Raw+Jpeg in the same directory. But I set PM to use the metadata from the jpeg file...and those variables you mentioned do appear in the Info.
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 03:59:40 AM »
Right, I have done some testing and created a JPG from a raw file and placed it in the same directory. As it turns out, while you can specify that either the JPG or the RAW file is used to display the XMP/IPTC data, PM always uses the JPG to display the other (e.g., technical, exif) information. If you shoot raw+jpg this isn't a problem as your camera will embed the same info. If, however, you have edited/created the jpg yourself, the exif data (and especially the makernote) is likely to be removed. So in this case PM is unable to show the info.

In my opinion this is wrong: PM should show the information from the raw instead, especially if you have set the option to use the metadata from the raw in the XMP/IPTC preferences.

Kirk, please consider changing this  :)
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 06:39:28 AM »
Right, I have done some testing and created a JPG from a raw file and placed it in the same directory. As it turns out, while you can specify that either the JPG or the RAW file is used to display the XMP/IPTC data, PM always uses the JPG to display the other (e.g., technical, exif) information. If you shoot raw+jpg this isn't a problem as your camera will embed the same info. If, however, you have edited/created the jpg yourself, the exif data (and especially the makernote) is likely to be removed. So in this case PM is unable to show the info.

In my opinion this is wrong: PM should show the information from the raw instead, especially if you have set the option to use the metadata from the raw in the XMP/IPTC preferences.

Kirk, please consider changing this  :)

Hayo,
You are right. But I do not have this problem as I use Canon's DPP to convert the raw into a jpeg file. I assume then that Canon puts the exif info in the jpeg it produces and this way PM does not have problems in showing that Info.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi