Author Topic: Lost images when ingest failed  (Read 4601 times)

Offline tommygrealy

• View Profile
Lost images when ingest failed
« on: May 11, 2013, 03:42:52 PM »
PM 5.0 build 13895, MacOS 10.8.3

Tonight I was shooting at an event the final ingest operation seemed to crash (rainbow wheel spinning for 2-3 mins). No new photos appeared in the contact sheet.

Even though there were definitely locked images on the card, none were uploaded. The card was erased even though the ingest operation was not successful (erase source disk after index is checked but I would assume PM would not erase images unless it was sure they were copied successfully from the card to the computer). As a result of this, I lost 3 very valuable photos.

Does anyone know if there is an ingest log file that might reveal more info about failed attempts to ingest images?

I want to try to determine what happened so that I can make sure I dont run into this problem again. If I cannot find out what happened, I will have to uncheck the "erase source disk" checkbox so that PM doesnt remove anything. However, this would be extremely inconvenient as my workflow requires the card to be cleared regularly.

Would like to hear if this has happened to anyone else before and as I mentioned, would also be interested in finding out anything about a logfile which keeps track of ingested files (if that exists).

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Lost images when ingest failed
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 05:02:09 PM »
Tommy,

PM 5.0 build 13895, MacOS 10.8.3

Tonight I was shooting at an event the final ingest operation seemed to crash (rainbow wheel spinning for 2-3 mins). No new photos appeared in the contact sheet.

Even though there were definitely locked images on the card, none were uploaded. The card was erased even though the ingest operation was not successful (erase source disk after index is checked but I would assume PM would not erase images unless it was sure they were copied successfully from the card to the computer). As a result of this, I lost 3 very valuable photos.

Does anyone know if there is an ingest log file that might reveal more info about failed attempts to ingest images?

I want to try to determine what happened so that I can make sure I dont run into this problem again. If I cannot find out what happened, I will have to uncheck the "erase source disk" checkbox so that PM doesnt remove anything. However, this would be extremely inconvenient as my workflow requires the card to be cleared regularly.

Would like to hear if this has happened to anyone else before and as I mentioned, would also be interested in finding out anything about a logfile which keeps track of ingested files (if that exists).

There is no Ingest log, and Ingest will not delete even a single photo if one or more files fail to be copied.  I would suspect that your card is beginning to fail.  How old is the card?

-Kirk

Offline tommygrealy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 07:03:07 PM »
Purchased on 14th June 2010. I wasn't aware cf disks could degrade over time. This disk is a SanDisk SDCFX-008G-X46 8GB/60MB/s Extreme CompactFlash Memory Card.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 07:45:31 PM »
Tommy,

Purchased on 14th June 2010. I wasn't aware cf disks could degrade over time. This disk is a SanDisk SDCFX-008G-X46 8GB/60MB/s Extreme CompactFlash Memory Card.

Yes, they definitely do degrade over time.

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 09:30:19 AM »
Tommy, if you haven't reused the card already it might not be too late to recover those images. Did you try running a recovery program on the card?
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/