Author Topic: Add folder icons to contact sheet (optionally) - or make navigator smarter  (Read 5646 times)

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
If I'm working on a contact sheet that is based on a folder with sub folders ... I'd like to be able to see the sub folders displayed as icons on the contact sheet.

Further... I'd like be able to right click a blank area on teh contact sheet to promt to create a new subfolder

And... I'd like to be able to drag selected images into the subfolder.

-- but a whole different strategy might work better... and possibly simpler:

The functionality above is already in the navigator, but I usually open photomechanic from Finder - with a right click on a folder to "browse with photomechanic" -- that opens photomechanic if its not already open, with the selected folder ready to go.   However, when I do the Navigator is clueless as to where I am, so perhaps an alternate suggestion would be to have the navigator actively be aware of the active contact sheet and position itself accordingly.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Ron,

A Contact Sheet can contain multiple folders each of which can be on an entirely different 'tree' of your disk or can be composed of folders on completely different disks.  Showing sub-folders in the Contact Sheet has been requested before but it wouldn't work well when multiple folders are involved.

There is an option in the Files section of the Preferences dialog to have the Navigator expand to show the path to a newly opened Contact Sheet tab, but it only takes effect when a new tab is opened.  It doesn't track when you switch between tabs.

Perhaps an option (right-click context menu) that when issued on a photo could reveal the parent folder in the Navigator would suffice?

-Kirk

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
Ron,

A Contact Sheet can contain multiple folders each of which can be on an entirely different 'tree' of your disk or can be composed of folders on completely different disks. 

I could see this as being very useful if you could save the definition of a contact sheet somehow, like Mac smart folders.   Interesting to know that it's there, but I can't see a use for it my workflow.  Yet.

Showing sub-folders in the Contact Sheet has been requested before but it wouldn't work well when multiple folders are involved.
<snip>
Perhaps an option (right-click context menu) that when issued on a photo could reveal the parent folder in the Navigator would suffice?

I like that idea!  It should work fine.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Ron,

A Contact Sheet can contain multiple folders each of which can be on an entirely different 'tree' of your disk or can be composed of folders on completely different disks. 

I could see this as being very useful if you could save the definition of a contact sheet somehow, like Mac smart folders.   Interesting to know that it's there, but I can't see a use for it my workflow.  Yet.

You can already save a multi folder contact sheet as a favourite :)
This is actually something I use regularly 8)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile

You can already save a multi folder contact sheet as a favourite :)
This is actually something I use regularly 8)

Thanks Hayo!   Very cool.  Tell me more how you use this feature!   How does it help you find images... and how does it make your workflow faster?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Hi Ron,

Well, one place I use the multi folder favourite regularly is with my “portfolio.” This is placed in multiple folders (one folder per genre), but sometimes I like to see all of them in one go. Of course, as they are actually subdirectories in a main folder, I could also choose open folder and subdirectories in a contact sheet nut that's an extra click compared to simply selecting the multi-folder from the favourites  :)

Another example would be where I am working on a set of (related) files in different directories. The multi-folder favourite helps here too.

Depending on how you prefer to work, there may be other examples of course.

Hope this helps,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography

That would be a nice addition...
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 05:00:00 PM by Kirk Baker »