Author Topic: Sequence Alphabetical?  (Read 2519 times)

Offline toddbuchanan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Todd Buchanan Corporate & Editorial
Sequence Alphabetical?
« on: May 22, 2013, 10:24:08 AM »
Kirk and all,

Is there any way to sequence something alphabetically?

i.e. 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d, 1e,

{Sequence} obviously only does numbers as best as I can tell...

Any of the variables? Tried looking through everything but maybe there is something I am missing...

Thanks

Todd

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Sequence Alphabetical?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 11:22:22 AM »
Todd,

Is there any way to sequence something alphabetically?

i.e. 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d, 1e,

{Sequence} obviously only does numbers as best as I can tell...

No, not directly, but you could use Code Replacement along with {seqn} to do it.

Add to your renaming string:

\{seqn}\

Set your {seqn} to 001

In your Code Replacement file you would list the sequence numbers as the codes, and your 1a, 1b, 1c, etc. as the replacements, like so:

001[tab]1a
002[tab]1b
003[tab]1c

Where [tab] appears, physically type the Tab key to put a tab character between your code and its replacement.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline toddbuchanan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Todd Buchanan Corporate & Editorial
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 06:17:33 AM »
Great! Thanks...Client just threw me a curve with having the files end with Alphabetical....Every day I am amazed at the power of code replacement and it makes it possible for me to do things that people thought weren't possible by being fast and efficient at get lots of information into my metadata for my clients...thank you again for all your work on features like this that many people don't even understand how powerful they are....

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 06:28:58 AM »
Todd,

Great! Thanks...Client just threw me a curve with having the files end with Alphabetical....Every day I am amazed at the power of code replacement and it makes it possible for me to do things that people thought weren't possible by being fast and efficient at get lots of information into my metadata for my clients...thank you again for all your work on features like this that many people don't even understand how powerful they are....

Very true.  I see people saying that things like 'Type It 4 Me' and 'Text Expander' provide 'Code Replacement' to other apps like Lightroom and Aperture but while those programs are useful they really don't have any of the power of Code Replacement when used in conjunction with Photo Mechanic's Variables.  There is nothing like it in any other app that I've seen.  The combination of the two features can produce some really powerful functionality.

-Kirk