Author Topic: WAV files Not Ingested PM5 build 13915 w UPDATE  (Read 3825 times)

Offline PhotogJC1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
WAV files Not Ingested PM5 build 13915 w UPDATE
« on: May 22, 2013, 07:57:39 AM »
WAV files are not being ingested with PM5 build 13915 on Win 7 o/s from Nikon D4 and it does not matter if the WAV files are on the XQD or CF cards.  Please advise on how to get them to ingest. 
Thanks

Upon further investigation, it seems that the WAV file is ingested but not with an auto icon shown in the Contact Sheet   :(.  So, if your memory is great/perfect knowing the exact image for which you recorded the voice memo, then when you select that specific image for previewing in the Preview window only, the auto icon appears.  So if you pare down/delete images in a Contact Sheet you will not know that you have deleted image specific documention memo records.

Why the change from PM4 and can this audio icon appear in the Contact Sheet?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:53:07 AM by PhotogJC1 »

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: WAV files Not Ingested PM5 build 13915
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »
Hmm, seemed to work for me last time I had a WAV file attached to an image. This was on a Mac though, and could have been with the previous version (haven't shot with WAV recently).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: WAV files Not Ingested PM5 build 13915 w UPDATE
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 10:06:11 AM »
WAV files are not being ingested with PM5 build 13915 on Win 7 o/s from Nikon D4 and it does not matter if the WAV files are on the XQD or CF cards.  Please advise on how to get them to ingest. 
Thanks

Upon further investigation, it seems that the WAV file is ingested but not with an auto icon shown in the Contact Sheet   :(.  So, if your memory is great/perfect knowing the exact image for which you recorded the voice memo, then when you select that specific image for previewing in the Preview window only, the auto icon appears.  So if you pare down/delete images in a Contact Sheet you will not know that you have deleted image specific documention memo records.

Why the change from PM4 and can this audio icon appear in the Contact Sheet?
Thanks.

No change to how files are Ingested was made to my knowledge.

PM pairs up WAV files with the image whose base name matches the base name of the WAV file.
Where did the image that had an audio annotation reside?  Where did the audio file reside?  Did the names match before Ingest (on the card(s))?  Did the names match after the Ingest?

-Kirk

Offline PhotogJC1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:32:20 AM »
Hi Kirk,
Yes the images matched up.  But please look at my observation that the audio icon does not appear in the Contact Sheet but only in the Preview.  I use the Contact Sheet as most photographers do for speed in deleting images at first screening,  Without the audio icon , unless you have a perfect recall memory the documented image with its voice memo record of the shot will be deleted without ever knowing that was the documentation image!  No professional photographers I know will do all their screening from the Preview (rare exception may be on second or third pass deletion for soft images at 100% enlargement, right?

So can we get back the audio icon on the Contact Sheet in PM5 next build ASAP (seeming easy to restore with high priority) please?  I don't mean this to sound harsh but rather a very important issue to my practice of documenting without GPS records and hand written people names for the image.
Thanks,
Jim
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:35:39 AM by PhotogJC1 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 01:19:39 PM »
Jim,

Yes the images matched up.  But please look at my observation that the audio icon does not appear in the Contact Sheet but only in the Preview.  I use the Contact Sheet as most photographers do for speed in deleting images at first screening,  Without the audio icon , unless you have a perfect recall memory the documented image with its voice memo record of the shot will be deleted without ever knowing that was the documentation image!  No professional photographers I know will do all their screening from the Preview (rare exception may be on second or third pass deletion for soft images at 100% enlargement, right?

So can we get back the audio icon on the Contact Sheet in PM5 next build ASAP (seeming easy to restore with high priority) please?  I don't mean this to sound harsh but rather a very important issue to my practice of documenting without GPS records and hand written people names for the image.

It shows up fine for us on Windows 7x64, PM 5 build 13915 in the Contact Sheet thumbnails.  Could you please post a screenshot showing the problem?  Please have the image selected in your screenshot.

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline PhotogJC1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »
Hi Kirk,
Please find attachment as requested showing Contact Sheet w image highlighted, corresponding Preview for that highlighted image, ingested file folder for the highlighted image and the chip folder of the highlighted image ... conmsistent with many folders over the last 4 weeks with PM 5 build 13915 from Nikon D4 both from CF chips and XQD chips.  Also I ran a test today (I am back at home with internet connections) with the same results from the D3 camera body on both this same Win 7 64bit PM5 build 13915 computer and a Vista Ultimate 64 bit PM5 build 13645 computer (since builds afterward this build do not reveal folder stuctures per our previous conversation in the support forum).  These results have been repeated with several different card readers and with Sandisk Extreme IV, Extreme Pro, Sony XQD, and Lexar Professional 1000x cards.

Thanks for a quick response so far!
Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 04:21:21 PM »
Please find attachment as requested showing Contact Sheet w image highlighted, corresponding Preview for that highlighted image, ingested file folder for the highlighted image and the chip folder of the highlighted image ... conmsistent with many folders over the last 4 weeks with PM 5 build 13915 from Nikon D4 both from CF chips and XQD chips.  Also I ran a test today (I am back at home with internet connections) with the same results from the D3 camera body on both this same Win 7 64bit PM5 build 13915 computer and a Vista Ultimate 64 bit PM5 build 13645 computer (since builds afterward this build do not reveal folder stuctures per our previous conversation in the support forum).  These results have been repeated with several different card readers and with Sandisk Extreme IV, Extreme Pro, Sony XQD, and Lexar Professional 1000x cards.

Build 13915 should work just fine on your Windows Vista system in regards to the Navigator.

Do you have your IPTC/XMP Preferences set to use the RAW file for metadata purposes when a RAW+JPEG pair is viewed?  If so, try changing it to use the JPEG for metadata purposes instead.  You may have to close PM (or at least close and reopen your contact sheets) to see the change.

-Kirk

Offline PhotogJC1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 09:39:06 AM »
I made your recommended change to select the JPEG metadata first when both NEF+JPEG and after reopening PM it did successfully show the audio icon in the Contact Sheet.  Thanks!  :)  This is different than the setting used in PM 4 versions as I recall. I assume no problem for when only NEF's are ingested.

Under the above changes in preferences, what happens to the audio icon when NEF's are processed by Light Room 4 or Capture NX2 and saved as Tiffs for further processing?  Will the icon go along with the TIFF or is it lost?

I will now update the Vista 64 bit machine to the current PM5 build 13915.

Thanks
Jim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 10:13:43 AM »
Jim,

I made your recommended change to select the JPEG metadata first when both NEF+JPEG and after reopening PM it did successfully show the audio icon in the Contact Sheet.  Thanks!  :)  This is different than the setting used in PM 4 versions as I recall.

I don't think that the default setting changed from PM4 to PM5.  Perhaps you changed it at some point and didn't notice the difference until recently.

I assume no problem for when only NEF's are ingested.

There should be no problems with a change in that setting for Ingest.

Under the above changes in preferences, what happens to the audio icon when NEF's are processed by Light Room 4 or Capture NX2 and saved as Tiffs for further processing?  Will the icon go along with the TIFF or is it lost?

The audio file will be paired up with any image that matches the same base name as the audio file.  If there is a JPEG and a TIFF and a WAV file all with the same base name, PM would show the audio file as attached to both the JPEG and the TIFF file.  What other applications might do under the same circumstances, I do not know.

-Kirk

Offline PhotogJC1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 10:15:51 AM »
Thanks for all the help Kirk! :)
Jim