Author Topic: More questions regarding the forthcoming PM Catalogue  (Read 5113 times)

Offline Peter E

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
More questions regarding the forthcoming PM Catalogue
« on: July 19, 2013, 02:55:00 AM »
Will the forthcoming Catalogue version of PM store the photos in one single file a.k.a. Apple Aperture or will it use the file structure of the Operation System (MacOSX, Windows etcetera)? Or will it use it´s own kind of file system/structure with the help of SQL?

Will the photos imported to the Catalogue still be accessible from the outside of the database or will they only be accessible from within the PM Catalogue?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 08:08:09 AM by MickO »

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: More questions regarding the forthcoming PM Catalogue
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 07:00:46 AM »
Catalog uses an SQLite database to store the metadata for the cataloged photos.  The photos are referenced where they exist on your file system and will always be accessible.  Proxy images are generated for preview purposes for photos that are on volumes that are not always available (photos that are not on the same volume as the catalog itself.)

-Kirk

Offline Peter E

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 07:29:31 AM »
That's sounds very promising and this is exactly what I'm looking for. Will there be a reasonable upgrade path (regarding $$) from the PM 4/5 to the Catalogue edition of PM5?

I know you´re all working hard to be able to release this new version and that it has the highest priority for the moment, but do you believe it will be launched before the new year 2103/2014? I mean, you have been talking about this version for some years now …

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 08:31:35 AM »
Hi Peter,

We appreciate your interest and enthusiasm, but we can't comment any further on any functionality, pricing, or timeframe for any new products just yet other than to say that it is our top organizational priority to develop a product that lives up to the high standards that you hold us accountable to. We are working hard on it, day in and day out, and we're committed to making it available at a reasonable price as we always have with Photo Mechanic. 

When there is something available to share, these forums will be the first to hear about it because we know how loyal and engaged you've been.  Thank you so much for that. Without you, we'd have nothing.

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 05:59:21 AM »
No need for an answer to this. Hopefully, you will include a catalogue reader at some time that will allow catalogues to be read by editors and third parties similar to that included in iView and Media Pro. Waiting for the day.....

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 07:16:14 AM »
Another prospective user here. I also would be transitioning from iView/Expression Media/Media Pro, but I would use a PM catalog only if it included the ability to add custom annotation fields (I think these are called "variables" in Photo Mechanic, but I don't know if they are entirely analagous). In Expression Media I currently use all 16 custom fields for my web galleries. I use them to display model/property release information, print size/pricing information, and other information not available in (or derivable from) the standard IPTC or EXIF fields. (I wish EM allowed for more than just 16 custom fields.) I read elsewhere in these forums that a "custom fields" feature is either not being considered or is low on the priority list due to the catalog development efforts being so high priority. Perhaps PM already can do what I'm looking for (I know it's powerful, and I have only briefly tested it), but if not, I just wanted to let the Camera Bits team know that I wouldn't have a use for PM (or its catalog feature) unless it had the ability to create multiple custom fields/variables for each image that I could display in web galleries.
-- Mark