Author Topic: unique filenames - camera serial number alternative  (Read 8400 times)

Offline myotis

• View Profile
unique filenames - camera serial number alternative
« on: August 13, 2014, 06:37:03 AM »
This has got to be an faq, but I am obviously not using the right search terms.

I have tried to use a file naming convention (using variables at ingest) that includes the camera serial number e.g.  20140711-6488388_665.nef. This works fine with Nikons,  but it seems that neither Panansonic nor Fuji include the serial number in the exif data.   So I am looking at an alternative approach, or an additional variable that would help, as I find the serial number useful to identfy the camera a particular file has come from.

I don't want to simply append a "B", which PM does automatically, as I would rather keep it all numeric and as PM seems a bit erratic at not importing the same files for a second time, this could get very confusing. I would also rather avoid semi-automatically  adding a camera identifier to each file name.

At the moment, I only have one fuji, and then nikons all work fine, so its not an issue, but I would like to sort this out in advance of a possible second fuji purchase.

I would appreciate some suggestions.

Many thanks,

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: unique filenames - camera serial number alternative
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 06:51:11 AM »
Graham,

This has got to be an faq, but I am obviously not using the right search terms.

I have tried to use a file naming convention (using variables at ingest) that includes the camera serial number e.g.  20140711-6488388_665.nef. This works fine with Nikons,  but it seems that neither Panansonic nor Fuji include the serial number in the exif data.   So I am looking at an alternative approach, or an additional variable that would help, as I find the serial number useful to identfy the camera a particular file has come from.

The camera serial number is contained in Maker Note data which is proprietary.  Not all camera manufacturers put the serial number in their Maker Note data, nor do all manufacturers put Maker Note data in the files their cameras produce.

I don't want to simply append a "B", which PM does automatically, as I would rather keep it all numeric and as PM seems a bit erratic at not importing the same files for a second time, this could get very confusing. I would also rather avoid semi-automatically  adding a camera identifier to each file name.

Turn of Incremental Ingest if you always want Ingest to download all of the images on a card.

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 07:04:27 AM »

1. The camera serial number is contained in Maker Note data which is proprietary.  Not all camera manufacturers put the serial number in their Maker Note data, nor do all manufacturers put Maker Note data in the files their cameras produce.

2. Turn of Incremental Ingest if you always want Ingest to download all of the images on a card.

Thanks Kirk, but...

1. Yes, I now realise that the serial number isn't always there for PM to pick up, hence me asking if anyone has a alterntative approach to ensure unique file names.

2. I don't want to download all the images off the card, I want an incremental ingest, but for some reason, even though the incremental ingest option is ticked, now and again PM will download everything on the card and append an "A" to the images it downloads for a second time.

Sometimes, if I am testing something and downloading after every few exposures, I end up with A, B, C, D etc versions, even though I confirm the incremental ingest box is ticked as soon as I realise I am getting duplicates.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 07:15:00 AM »
Graham,

I don't have an alternative for you if you need a serial number for making your images unique.  Simply using the date and a sequence number should suffice, but you won't know at a glance what camera body produced the image.

As for the Ingest problem, do you have your camera set to create a new folder and/or reset the image frame number each time it begins shooting again?  That would surely produce different images with the same name on the card and cause Ingest to download them again.

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 07:41:20 AM »
Thanks Kirk,

Normally, the date and sequence number is fine, but if you buy two bodies at the same time, take photographs with them both on the same day, then both have their files imported with identical numbers.  But that is fine, I will come up with a workaround I just didn't want to reinvent the wheel if there was an easy solution.

As regards the ingest, I haven't ever changed any of the settings you describe, and nearly all of the time its fine, just now and again, it seems to have a mind of its own and misbehaves.

I only mentioned to explain why letting PM append an "A" to the duplicates wasn't an obvious option.

Cheers,
Graham

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 07:46:31 AM »
I use 3 Nikon bodies and sometimes all on the same day. All cameras are set to exactly the same time to the nearest second. I differentiate the bodies by replacing the usual DSC or IMG with   AAA   BBB  and CCC using the Nikon camera menu file naming system. I then use PM to rename the images on ingest as follows:  FINCH120802A9042,   FINCH120802B7142 and FINCH120802C0192

To set that naming up I only take one of the AAA, CCC or BBB letters into the file name and retain the numbers as created by the camera.  The contact sheet is not set according to the file name but at the time of capture. I find it works very well and immediately tells me which camera generated the image.

The 120802 is the short date in reverse that ensures the images are always filed in a chronological order.
I hope this helps.
David
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:58:34 AM by judophotos »

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 08:05:18 AM »
Hello David,

Yes thanks, it does help, in fact it's not needed for the Nikons,,as they give me the serial number, but I have just checked, and you can do the same with the Fuji's, where the serial number isn't an option.

But maybe I should rethink what I do with the Nikons, Mmmm, something to think about, but still a great solution.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 12:24:09 PM »
Hello David,

Yes thanks, it does help, in fact it's not needed for the Nikons,,as they give me the serial number, but I have just checked, and you can do the same with the Fuji's, where the serial number isn't an option.

But maybe I should rethink what I do with the Nikons, Mmmm, something to think about, but still a great solution.

Cheers,

Graham

If all your cameras are of different type than you can use the {modl} variable to identify them. But if all the cameras can use the file naming settings described above, then it is easier to set it up that way.

I too use serial number and it works for my DSLRs, but I have problem with the GoPro images/videos. And I use more than one GoPro so I don't know any solution yet.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 01:20:09 PM »
If all your cameras are of different type than you can use the {modl} variable to identify them. But if all the cameras can use the file naming settings described above, then it is easier to set it up that way.

Thanks, at the moment that would work, but I don't like have different models, and longer term the plan is to have them the same.

I suspect a combination if methods will be needed.

Cheers,

Graham
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 01:49:08 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 02:48:41 PM »
While it is not the perfect solution to your problem, for the time being when you only have one of each model body, you could set up a Code Replacement file that would be able to insert the serial number into your renaming string.

You would need to make sure you had the exact model string in your Code Replacement file, but it would look something like this

FUJI XT-1      999999999999

Where "FUJI XT-1" is the exact model string, and "999999999999"  is the serial number string, separated by a TAB.

Then in your rename string on ingest, you can use \{model}\   (using the default \ delimiter) and it will insert the serial number into your filename.  If you get multiple instances of the same model body, but use different lenses on them, you could conceivably do the same thing with the {lens} variable.

This doesn't solve the issue for multiple uses of a GoPro .. and that's why I email them monthly asking for them to insert serial number into exif :-)

For more documentation on using Code Replacements, check here:
http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=Speeding_Up_Captioning

-Mick

Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 10:48:13 PM »
While it is not the perfect solution to your problem, for the time being when you only have one of each model body, you could set up a Code Replacement file that would be able to insert the serial number into your renaming string.

Thanks Mick, I will look at that as well. I can also think of some other uses for it, so useful to know.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 03:08:19 AM »
This doesn't solve the issue for multiple uses of a GoPro .. and that's why I email them monthly asking for them to insert serial number into exif :-)

-Mick

Good to hear Mick. I sent this request to them only once, but I may join the monthly request in hope they will do it.
,-))

Do you some times change the email address? I guess they may have put you on spam filter by now.
,-DD
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com