Author Topic: iPhone ingest? (again?... still?)  (Read 1508 times)

Offline markgilchrist

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
iPhone ingest? (again?... still?)
« on: June 08, 2013, 11:23:46 AM »
Well, the time has come when I can really use such a thing - as can others, I believe. I saw posts a few years old about being able to ingest images from an iPhone, but I wonder if there has been progress?

Reason is, I can now easily load photos from my iphone onto my newspaper's website, so I am using that camera more and more (about every day). So, I have to process all photos from those assignments for print, archiving, etc.

I use Image Capture (on a Mac). S'pose there's any way PM could be linked to Image Capture, since the iPhone doesn't mount as a disk?

Just wondering... and wishing.

Thanks, Mark Gilchrist

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: iPhone ingest? (again?... still?)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 02:52:47 PM »
Hi Mark,

This is currently not possible; PM only ingests from real disks, not from cameras/other non-disk devices.

Image capture is the way to go in this case.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: iPhone ingest? (again?... still?)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:17:55 AM »
One workaround that I've been using is to set up the free Dropbox app to automatically sync my iPhone photos to my desktop. It can be set to sync only when a wifi connection is present or to sync over the cell network if you have the data to spare.

Then, I have a Photo Mechanic "favorite" folder pointing to my Dropbox folder and can go in there and cull and rate, apply stationary pad etc.  You could even set up PM to "Live Ingest" your Dropbox folder to apply a Stationery Pad. and if you left it open while you're out snapping pics, you could conceivably come back to completely ingested photos with a Stationary Pad already applied.

Clearly this wouldn't work for everyone, but it can be handy for those with regular wifi access.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 10:35:41 AM by MickO »
Mick O
Camera Bits