Author Topic: looking for PM user's workflow for ingesting multiple jobs shot on 1 card or 2.  (Read 4126 times)

Offline rick hannon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hello all,

First post here. I'm looking for Photo Mechanic user's workflow for ingesting multiple jobs that are shot on the same card, and,
multiple jobs shot with two cards/cameras (say one job shot with a wide lens on one camera and a long lens on the other).

I've got ingesting down when it's just 1 job per card/s, like a football game. But it's a bit more complicated for my question above.

I don't have the luxury or time really to use newly formatted cards for each job. I suspect a lot of newspaper photogs are in this same boat.

Hope to hear from anyone soon who has a good solution for this.

Thanks!

Rick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Rick,

First post here. I'm looking for Photo Mechanic user's workflow for ingesting multiple jobs that are shot on the same card, and,
multiple jobs shot with two cards/cameras (say one job shot with a wide lens on one camera and a long lens on the other).

I've got ingesting down when it's just 1 job per card/s, like a football game. But it's a bit more complicated for my question above.

I don't have the luxury or time really to use newly formatted cards for each job. I suspect a lot of newspaper photogs are in this same boat.

What would be the final result of an ideal solution?  Do you want the photos in individual folders?  Do you want them to have different IPTC Stationery Pads applied to them?

You say you shoot multiple jobs on each card.  Do you start a new folder on the card for each job?

I'll need more information about what your goal is in order to suggest a solution.

-Kirk

Offline rick hannon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Kirk,

Thanks for your fast reply. I'd like Photo Mechanic to put each assignment/job into a new folder under the root folder of 'newspaper' assignments (this is going out on my desktop but could be anywhere). Inside that comes a folder with the slug name/i.d., and inside that folder comes a folder with all the raw (sometimes raw pix sometimes jpgs) take. I then save out the selects, after toning them in p.s., back onto the root of that new slug-named folder. And yes I'd like each job to have its own IPTC Stationary pad unique to that job.

I do not start a new folder for each job. we could do this yes. But come a spot news job (say you're flying over a plant fire) we probably won't remember to do this or find it to be a pain. So basically there can be say three different jobs on one 16 gb card, times two cards (one for long lens camera and one for wide lens camera), that need to have their own assignment info and appropriate folders.

I'd be happy to send you the snapshot files i've made for our paper if that would help.

Thanks!

Rick 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Rick,

Thanks for your fast reply. I'd like Photo Mechanic to put each assignment/job into a new folder under the root folder of 'newspaper' assignments (this is going out on my desktop but could be anywhere). Inside that comes a folder with the slug name/i.d., and inside that folder comes a folder with all the raw (sometimes raw pix sometimes jpgs) take. I then save out the selects, after toning them in p.s., back onto the root of that new slug-named folder. And yes I'd like each job to have its own IPTC Stationary pad unique to that job.

I do not start a new folder for each job. we could do this yes. But come a spot news job (say you're flying over a plant fire) we probably won't remember to do this or find it to be a pain. So basically there can be say three different jobs on one 16 gb card, times two cards (one for long lens camera and one for wide lens camera), that need to have their own assignment info and appropriate folders.

I'd be happy to send you the snapshot files i've made for our paper if that would help.

I'd then suggest browsing the card directly (but don't edit on it!) then sort by capture time.  Select each group of images and then use the Copy/Move Photos command on the File menu.  Set your destination (you can use variables in the folder naming), load your IPTC Stationery Pad snapshot, and copy your photos.  Repeat this for each group of photos.

I know of no completely automated way of splitting up your photos into groups.  You could use the {lens} or other variables, but what happens when you shot a different group but hadn't changed your lens?  Also, the IPTC Stationery Pad that is applied during Ingest cannot spontaneously change.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline rick hannon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Kirk,

Yes that helps. I will try that and see.

I can see where the lens variable wouldn't work for the reason you mentioned.

Much appreciated.

Rick

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Hi,
I myself use PM to ingest all pictures from all cards from all cameras into a folder called Work in Progress automatically creating dated subfolders. At the same time PM renames all pictures to WIP-{year4}_{month0}_{day0}_{timesortlong} .
I then edit the pictures in PS or DPP and convert them into jpegs (saving them in the same place). After that, I copy only the selected jpegs into a folder with a subject/job name. That's it.
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
I just Ingest the cards into a folder named for whatever the assignment was where I think I shot the most images. Afterwards I just use the Move command to put the other assignments into their own folders.

I don't apply any assignment specific metadata during Ingest so this works fine for me.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography

I don't apply any assignment specific metadata during Ingest so this works fine for me.

That's important.
I don't apply assignment specific metadata during ingest either. After I move the pictures into subject/job folders, I apply the specific metadata.
HTH,

- Luiz Muzzi

Offline rick hannon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thanks Kirk, Luis and Kevin for your replies to my question. Helpful!

Rick