Author Topic: wishing to extract portion of merlin slug to use in PM filename field. way?  (Read 2472 times)

Offline rick hannon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hello,

My newspaper uses Merlin and we have slugs that go something like this:

joeblow.062513   

which would be a story about joe blow that has a run date of tomorrow. or if it's an advance story about joe blow it would be:

joeblow.adv

I'm wondering if there is a way to extract a portion of those slugs, the run date part, to be able to use it as a variable in PM's ingest window for renaming file names. something like this then:  \{serialnum}INIT\_{datesort}_{object}{seen}.062513.jpg

we use the slug as our object name in the iptc stationary pad and cut and paste the slug from merlin into this field. so if there's a way to capture just the part after the ., that's what i'm looking/wishing for.

Suggestions?

tnx!

Rick

We're using PM 4.6.8 and on mac intel with os 10.7.5

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Rick,

My newspaper uses Merlin and we have slugs that go something like this:

joeblow.062513   

which would be a story about joe blow that has a run date of tomorrow. or if it's an advance story about joe blow it would be:

joeblow.adv

I'm wondering if there is a way to extract a portion of those slugs, the run date part, to be able to use it as a variable in PM's ingest window for renaming file names. something like this then:  \{serialnum}INIT\_{datesort}_{object}{seen}.062513.jpg

we use the slug as our object name in the iptc stationary pad and cut and paste the slug from merlin into this field. so if there's a way to capture just the part after the ., that's what i'm looking/wishing for.

I'm not clear how the Merlin data gets into your photos and what field, if any, we would mine the Merlin data from, or are you saying that your filenames already have this Merlin data at the end of the name?

We're using PM 4.6.8 and on mac intel with os 10.7.5

Please get version PM 4.6.9 as soon as you can.

-Kirk