Author Topic: Licensing questions  (Read 3173 times)

Offline Turby

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Licensing questions
« on: June 24, 2013, 10:38:54 PM »
I have 2 questions about the licensing of the PhotoMechanic:

1) If I read the license terms correctly, the PhotoMechanic can be installed on 3 computers. What happens if I decide to uninstall the PM from one machine and reinstall it onto another one? Do I have to deactivate the PM and, if so, how can I do that? What should I do if I lose access to the OS on the old machine (HDD failure etc.)

2) Can I use the license for 5.0 to install v. 4.6? The reason I am asking is that I am currently using Windows XP where v5.x cannot run.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Licensing questions
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 11:39:03 PM »
I have 2 questions about the licensing of the PhotoMechanic:

1) If I read the license terms correctly, the PhotoMechanic can be installed on 3 computers. What happens if I decide to uninstall the PM from one machine and reinstall it onto another one? Do I have to deactivate the PM and, if so, how can I do that? What should I do if I lose access to the OS on the old machine (HDD failure etc.)

Currently there is no way to deactivate a copy of PM once it is activated.  We're working on a new activation system that allows deactivations.

2) Can I use the license for 5.0 to install v. 4.6? The reason I am asking is that I am currently using Windows XP where v5.x cannot run.

I believe it will work with license keys that are sold at this time, but eventually license keys (for the new Activation/Deactivation system) won't work on older versions of Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline Turby

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 01:41:55 AM »
Currently there is no way to deactivate a copy of PM once it is activated.  We're working on a new activation system that allows deactivations.
Do you have any ETA for this?
Will you issue new activation keys when the new activation system is ready?

Could you please answer my 2 remaining questions:
1) What happens if I decide to uninstall the PM from one machine and reinstall it onto another one?
2) What should I do if I lose access to the OS on the old machine (HDD failure etc.)

I recently had the same HDD failure problem with Adobe, but I managed to resolve it quickly by contacting the support. Can I do the same with the PM?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 06:37:50 AM »
Do you have any ETA for this?
Will you issue new activation keys when the new activation system is ready?

It is currently in testing.  We don't give release dates, but it should be sooner rather than later.

Could you please answer my 2 remaining questions:
1) What happens if I decide to uninstall the PM from one machine and reinstall it onto another one?

It should work just fine, as long as you aren't exceeding the seat count on your license.

2) What should I do if I lose access to the OS on the old machine (HDD failure etc.)

I recently had the same HDD failure problem with Adobe, but I managed to resolve it quickly by contacting the support. Can I do the same with the PM?

If you ever have a problem such as this, please call our sales people at 503-547-2800 or email them at sales@camerabits.com and they'll help you correct the problem.

-Kirk

Offline Turby

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 10:05:59 AM »
Thank you very much for the help, Kirk!