Author Topic: Removing EXIF when emailing images  (Read 2338 times)

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
Removing EXIF when emailing images
« on: June 28, 2013, 03:30:41 AM »
I'm using PM5 to email out some JPEGs and, as I'm not ticking the "preserve EXIF where possible" box I assumed I was sending them without that data. Seems not though, a test file shows the info I was hoping to hide.

Am I correct in thinking this is because I'm sending the camera original files and not having PM resize or decompress them in any way? If I allowed PM to fiddle with the file the EXIF would be removed? Or am I missing something which would allow the EXIF to be removed from the 'original' files?

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Removing EXIF when emailing images
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 06:56:02 AM »
David,

I'm using PM5 to email out some JPEGs and, as I'm not ticking the "preserve EXIF where possible" box I assumed I was sending them without that data. Seems not though, a test file shows the info I was hoping to hide.

Am I correct in thinking this is because I'm sending the camera original files and not having PM resize or decompress them in any way? If I allowed PM to fiddle with the file the EXIF would be removed? Or am I missing something which would allow the EXIF to be removed from the 'original' files?

Please post a JPEG screenshot of your settings.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 07:30:15 AM »
Please post a JPEG screenshot of your settings. 

Attached!

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 07:55:56 AM »
David,

Please post a JPEG screenshot of your settings. 

Attached!

Thanks

Since you're not doing anything that would cause the image to be manipulated (JPEG quality less than 100, limiting file size, watermarking, converting to sRGB, etc.) and you're not resizing, the original is being sent.

The 'Preserve EXIF where possible' option when unchecked isn't an explicit 'strip EXIF if it exists' feature.  It won't cause a file to be modified by itself.

So you'll either need to strip your images before you send them or cause your image to be modified.  I suggest limiting the file size since sending an original to someone via email is likely to be rejected by the recipient's email server.

-Kirk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 08:06:10 AM »
Thanks Kirk, that was what I though was happening.

I'm happy sending the camera files as they are a predictable size. Its a bit of a fiddle to know what size the files will be when using PM to resize them in any way. (By which I mean the file size, not the image pixel dimensions.) Naturally I'm aware of the problems sending by email but if the client says email...

I may experiment with the PM setting though. Thanks for your help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 09:35:46 AM »
David,

Thanks Kirk, that was what I though was happening.

I'm happy sending the camera files as they are a predictable size. Its a bit of a fiddle to know what size the files will be when using PM to resize them in any way. (By which I mean the file size, not the image pixel dimensions.) Naturally I'm aware of the problems sending by email but if the client says email...

Set the JPEG quality to 1 and then set the Limit file size to: checkbox and enter the size in megabytes.  If you want a 2.5 MB file, enter 2.5 for the size.

There isn't any 'fiddle' anymore in PM5 in respect to JPEG output file sizes.

-Kirk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 05:34:55 AM »
Okay, thanks once again Kirk. I now see how to have PM send the file size I want without the EXIF. Not a fiddle at all, as you said.

Excellent! Thank you.