Author Topic: A strange problem when writing Stationary Pad to memory card  (Read 4949 times)

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
When I apply the stationary pad to the raw (*.ARW - sony nex-7) files on the memory card, the data is not written to the files on the card.
Here are the steps I use.
1. Select the DCIM folder on the card to display and then select all the images in a contact sheet.
2. Open stationary pad and enter the location and keywords
3. Apply the stationary pad to  selected images.
4. Check the i button on some images to see if the application had occurred
    The applied data does show up in the information panel
5. Use Crl W to close the contact sheet
6. Repeat Steps 1 and 4.
    Now the stationary pad data does NOT show up , it has not been written to the files on the card, despite step 4 of the first run?

I am using a USB 3 card reader and have repeated thee steps using USB 3 and USB 2 ports.

Jim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: A strange problem when writing Stationary Pad to memory card
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 07:44:50 PM »
Jim,

When I apply the stationary pad to the raw (*.ARW - sony nex-7) files on the memory card, the data is not written to the files on the card.
Here are the steps I use.
1. Select the DCIM folder on the card to display and then select all the images in a contact sheet.
2. Open stationary pad and enter the location and keywords
3. Apply the stationary pad to  selected images.
4. Check the i button on some images to see if the application had occurred
    The applied data does show up in the information panel
5. Use Crl W to close the contact sheet
6. Repeat Steps 1 and 4.
    Now the stationary pad data does NOT show up , it has not been written to the files on the card, despite step 4 of the first run?

I am using a USB 3 card reader and have repeated thee steps using USB 3 and USB 2 ports.

Photo Mechanic 5 does not, by default, write to camera cards.  It saves up your changes in memory so that if you copy your images elsewhere your changes will be realized.  If you wish to force Photo Mechanic to write to your camera cards, you can set the "Allow modification of files on Camera Disks ( not recommended ! )" in the Files section of the Preferences dialog to "on" and affirm the disclaimer.  We definitely do not recommend editing directly on your camera cards.  Unless you have already copied your images from the card to some other device then the images on your cards are the only version of those images in existence.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 04:02:18 AM »
Very wise of PM. One should really have the image files at least on two locations.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 08:00:42 PM »
Jim,

Unless you have already copied your images from the card to some other device then the images on your cards are the only version of those images in existence.

-Kirk
Thanks Kirk,  I was so used to using this process with earlier versions and did not realize there had been a change.
I do copy the original files to a backup location. But I can easily modify my procedure and apply the stationary pad during the ingest procedure.

Jim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 08:28:21 PM »
Jim,

That would be the safest thing you could do and is what we recommend for all digital photographers regardless of what software they use.  Download first, then modify.  Preferably on a backup.

-Kirk