Author Topic: Copy/Move locks computer  (Read 3649 times)

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
Copy/Move locks computer
« on: July 15, 2013, 01:50:08 PM »
PM build  13915
Windows 7 64 bit
8 gigs of RAM

The Copy/Move command locks the computer.  Sometimes, I will get the Windows screen asking if I want to wait for the program or shut down.  Other times, I need to go into the Task Manager to shut down PM.  Once, I needed to use the power switch to quit.

Drag and drop works ok but that looks as if it's using Windows to do the copy/move and not PM  It's just Ctrl-Y, Copy/Move that freezes everything. I thought it might just be the Move that created the problem but Copy locks also. I've tried just three images in case the number of files was an issue but that didn't make a difference. 

I am moving to another folder on the same computer but it is a different drive.  I ingest into a folder where I do culling, tagging, etc.  Then move the images to another drive (actually another partition on the same physical drive but a different drive letter) where they are kept.  It's this move that freezes everything.

Thanks for any suggestions on fixing.  I have not uninstalled and reinstalled PM because I don't want to use up an install.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Copy/Move locks computer
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 01:58:26 PM »
Woodie,

The Copy/Move command locks the computer.  Sometimes, I will get the Windows screen asking if I want to wait for the program or shut down.  Other times, I need to go into the Task Manager to shut down PM.  Once, I needed to use the power switch to quit.

Drag and drop works ok but that looks as if it's using Windows to do the copy/move and not PM  It's just Ctrl-Y, Copy/Move that freezes everything. I thought it might just be the Move that created the problem but Copy locks also. I've tried just three images in case the number of files was an issue but that didn't make a difference. 

I am moving to another folder on the same computer but it is a different drive.  I ingest into a folder where I do culling, tagging, etc.  Then move the images to another drive (actually another partition on the same physical drive but a different drive letter) where they are kept.  It's this move that freezes everything.

Is there anything odd about the path for the source or the destination?  Can you post your PM log file?  Use the "Reveal Support Data" command on the Help menu and post the zipped PM log file.

Thanks for any suggestions on fixing.  I have not uninstalled and reinstalled PM because I don't want to use up an install.

You won't 'use up an install' if you uninstall and reinstall on the same computer with the same hard drive.  But I don't advise it anyway since it would just waste your time.  I don't think reinstalling would make any difference to your problem.

-Kirk

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 10:00:28 AM »
Woodie,

Is there anything odd about the path for the source or the destination?  Can you post your PM log file?  Use the "Reveal Support Data" command on the Help menu and post the zipped PM log file.

I don't think there is anything odd about the path to the destination.  Save As works fine.  I sometimes do a Save As JPG to the same drive to save NEF files as JPG.  I follow that with a Move to move the NEF files to the same folder as the JPG files and that's when everything locks up.  Even if I don't do the Save As step, Copy or Move freezes the computer.

I'm not on the computer with PM installed right now but will post the zip file when I get to that computer.

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 10:13:03 AM »
Kirk,

Log file is attached.

Woodie

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 11:22:21 AM »
Woodie,

Other than evidence that you're terminating PM rather than quitting it normally, I see no errors from the copy/move process.  I suggest resetting your preferences:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=8219.0

If the problem still persists then I'll have to add some logging code to the copy/move code and get you a new build to test with.

-Kirk

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 12:04:57 PM »
Kirk,

I looked at the log file and also noticed that it did not indicate a normal close.  This was obviously because it was freezing.  I have set PM to purge the cache when exiting but since I couldn't exit normally, it wasn't clearing the cache.  I cleared all cache files manually through the settings and everything seems to be working now.  This doesn't explain why the cache files weren't cleared when I didn't use Copy/Move and exited normally but it did seem to fix the problem.  Maybe the cache is not related and it was just coincidence, but everything is working ok, at least for now.

Thanks for your help.

Woodie