Author Topic: modify original image data?  (Read 3818 times)

Offline jjlists123

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
modify original image data?
« on: December 10, 2006, 04:49:22 PM »
The PDF manual (p.51) says image "rotations are only performed 'visually'" and "is in line with Photo Mechanic's policy of never altering the original image data in any way".

However, when I rotate an image in PM and use the 'e'dit command, it shows up rotated in Photoshop.
Are you making a temporary copy of the to-be-edited image, rotating that and then passing Photoshop a path to this temporary image?

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: modify original image data?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 05:36:26 PM »
The PDF manual (p.51) says image "rotations are only performed 'visually'" and "is in line with Photo Mechanic's policy of never altering the original image data in any way".

However, when I rotate an image in PM and use the 'e'dit command, it shows up rotated in Photoshop.
Are you making a temporary copy of the to-be-edited image, rotating that and then passing Photoshop a path to this temporary image?

No.  We are modifying the EXIF orientation tag.  The image data is not modified.

-Kirk

Offline jjlists123

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 08:37:28 AM »
That makes sense.
I guess the issue is how users interpret the "never altering the original image data in any way" sentence in the manual.

I read it as "file data is never altered", which led me to think that other mechanisms were being used.

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 09:56:47 AM »
That makes sense.
I guess the issue is how users interpret the "never altering the original image data in any way" sentence in the manual.

I read it as "file data is never altered", which led me to think that other mechanisms were being used.

I'll update the manual to indicate that the file is altered, but the image data itself is unaltered.

-Kirk